Dry refuges/burning

mudroller

Reaction score
I drove the Sac. NWR tourista loop on Sunday evening on the way hole from fishing, and I couldn't believe how dry they let it get. Only 1 pond I could see was flooded, most of loop road was crispy dry. Lots of immature pheasants runnig around, totally tortured my dogs! Waht I couldn't figure out is how they got permission from CARB to burn fields when no one else can. On Delevan right next to 4 mile road, they were burning the fields at 7pm. No one was around watching the fires either to make sure they didn't get out of control. Nearby rice fields are full of ducks, not many sitting on the refuges. Kinda cool to see the ponds dry so I could see what the heck I am tripping over during duck season. Thistle is everywhere, we should gang up and colectively kick the crap out of the joker who brought that weed over here. The one pond flooded at Sac. had 1000-2000 ducks, but mostly hens sitting on the shorelines of the islands. Very few were swimming. Damselflies and dragonflies were cruising the ponds by the millions. They seemed to be chasing down mosquitos. Tons of rabbits around, since coyotes never chase them with easy pickin'ducks around. Saw 2 coyotes on back side. All I could do to not reach between seat and cap them. Any one know when they flood refuges? I would like to see that. Also, to enter refuge tourista loop, you must either pay $3, have a federal waterfowl stamp, or a golden age pass.... but does anyone know if waterfowl stamp has to be valid? Mine expired on June 30, 2001 like yours and I don't want a ticket. Next time I go it will be at sunrise or sunset, I want to see what happens on the closed zone at those times. Do the birds all leave? I get bombarded on my club property10 minutes after shooting time and I want to know when those birds pick that trait up. Very cool way to blow an hour or 2. I am going to try to arrange a field trip with school this fall. Got to start the kids early, get them on our side before the sKank Rosie O'donnell turns them in to the enemy.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Muddy

They should be having a brush up/ clean up day at Sac and Del. pretty soon.

Kids are welcome and it's about the only chance to see to hunting side of the refuge while its dry.
If I hear anything about the day there doing it I'll post.

Jay

Reaction score
The only time the feds can get the heavy equipment in is when the ponds are dry. Email the refuge headquarters and they can provide you with a list of their projects on the north valley refuges.

The Sac Valley refuges got 100% of their water allocation but that doesnt leave much for additional flood irrigation during the summer. My bet is that they're holding the water for the fall flood up which usually starts in the end of September.      

kilbuc

Reaction score
if you flood up ponds to soon you get a lot of tall thick veg growth and makes the H20 and seeds unavailable for wintering ducks.  You also will end up with solid cattail/tule stands that provide little food and once established are real hard and expensive to get rid of.  Hope this helps.   From the old marsh manager.

mudroller

Reaction score
There were a lot of tules and I understand they can be a problem, the thing that really concerned me was a brush fire burning(5+acres) completely unattended(on Delevan). That could get out of hand pretty quick with 95 degree temp and 5-10 mph winds. There was a sign in Lambertville/Willow Creek duck club that said "burning prohibited by law from June 1....." I can't figure out how they got away with it. My neighbors complain when I spark up the BBQ.  Coyotes ticked me off too. They should let us go pick them off.  
I took GPS cood. of certain spots where I saw birds landing last year during duck season and watched them fly toward blind 9 at SNWR. I gotta get my bearings set so I know where to hunt. About 20 big a$$ pelicans sittin' out there too. Watched them take off, took a compass bearing and tried to figure out where they flew to, and found them 1 hour later over on Gunnersfield, about 6-8 miles away. Killbuc, do they use fertilizers out on refuge, or do the birds take care of that for you? Planning to do a little private marsh management on my own property and to give birds a hide-out from the master hunters at Grizzly. I got about 400 quail  now that weren't here 5 years ago, and baby mallards in the creek on the boundary of my ranch are trying to fly. Gotta go cat trapping again tonight.....

300BOSS

Reaction score
Mudroller,

Down in Los Banos area, the refuges only require a fishing license, hunting license otherwise you need to pay day use fees.

mudroller

Reaction score
that is what it said on kiosk at entance, I know state refuges are fishing or hunting license, kiosk didn't mention  those. Any bird flying around down there yet?

twoducks

Reaction score
Mud Roller, the fall flood up is going on right now, just because you do not see it doesn't mean its not going on.  They are flooding the close zone on the south plus atleast 2 sites in the hunt area, Also the fire you saw at Delevan was attended until 10:00 that night per what the Sac Headquarters had to say.  After the problem with the runaway fire they had a few weeks back, (see the Valley Mirror spread) I would highly doubt they would walk away from a fire.  Also Brush up day is traditionaly the last sat in Sept.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom