DU Great Outdoors Festival in Memphis

Welby

Reaction score
Any of you guys planning to attend the Ducks Unlimited Great Outdoors Festival in Memphis, TN on the weekend of June 1-3?

I am trying to get a couple of guys from this site to meet there and wondered if there were any others that might possibly attend.  Maybe we should fix up some caps with our usernames printed on them and be on the lookout for each other while there.

quackmaster

Reaction score
If you haven't been before, bring your sunscreen. The last couple of years it's been pretty darn hot!
Typical southern humidity though.
If it gets too hot, I like to go try and do a little mission work down around Tunica.
I tell my wife that those people needed to know the gospel also!

I may be over there, I'll have to check with corporate headquarters first and see if I have permission.

(Edited by quackmaster at 8:56 am on May 25, 2001)

(Edited by quackmaster at 9:04 am on May 25, 2001)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I’ll be there.  I’m flying into Memphis that morning and flying out that evening.  I’ve got a press pass for the show.  I work for Alloutdoors.com as a moderator and I am covering the DU Festival for the Chevy Events section of Alloutdoors.  We’ll have to meet up.  I’ll be there by myself and it would be nice to see someone I already have common ground with.  JB

Welby

Reaction score
Jon, great to know you'll be there.  Will you be at the Chevy display or will you be all over the place?  Let me know where you will be (email me if you like) and I'll make it a point to stop by and say hi!.

quackmaster

Reaction score
My wife and I plan on being there on saturday. I guess I'll go snoop around the chevy area for the two of ya. I'll hold a giant homebrew cam sign up.

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I may be there, but haven't firmed up any plans yet, mch less a hotel room.  Will there be hundreds of mfgs. displaying their wares?

Matt
matt.hull@dayco.com

Jon Bain

Reaction score
A lot of, what was it you typed, mfgs?  Yes with hands on type deals where you get to test the product.  If I was driving I was going to bring my dog for some fun with him up there, but oh well.  I'll be all over the place, but will make it a point to be in the Chevy truck area around noon central time.  I'll be the one looking lost and alone.  JB

Matt in MO

Reaction score
I'll be the guy with a slight limp (band aid on right leg above the shin - think I have a 1/2 inch splinter!) and two twelve year old boys going wild.

Matt in MO

quackmaster

Reaction score
Ok guys
How about lurking around the chevy area about 1:00 saturday. If there is a silverado truck in the display area, hang out by the tailgate and we can have a pow wow.

Welby

Reaction score
I am going to try and be around the Chevy area at or around lunch time, 12:00 pm.  Hope to see you guys there.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Well, I waited for you guys at the Chevy Fishing Village from 12:00 Central time until 12:40.  I then went down to the Chevy display in front of the Trap Shooting area and saw no one so I went back to the Fishing Village until about 1:00.  After not having anyone come up to the lost looking fellow (me) I went to the Dog Village.  Wish I could have met up with you.  JB

(Edited by Jon Bain at 12:56 pm on June 3, 2001)

Welby

Reaction score
Well, I was hanging around the Chevy trucks display so much around 12:00 - 12:20 that I was afraid I was beginning to look suspicious.  I was the one wagging around the black camera bag with a 35mm SLR slung around my neck but taking most of my photos with a Canon Sure Shot Owl.  I thought maybe one of the other guys would notice and we could meet that way, but my plan didn't work.

It was a neat show and I had a good time.  The hunting equipment on display and for sale was plentiful, but there was really nothing new and exciting.  I must admit I am most excited about the vehicle displays when at the annual Great Outdoors Festival, and I was not disappointed this year.

There were great displays from all the major truck manufacturers, but Ford and Dodge stole the shows.  Ford with its concept trucks and SUVs raised my eyebrows (and my SLR) a good bit, but it was Dodge that really made my heart skip a beat.  Walking by their big display, I immediately noticed (who couldn't?) the red Viper convertible parked alongside some impressive trucks.  That was eyecatching, but it was their second display further into the show that really got me excited.  On display there was a white with blue stripes Viper GTS-R, an extremely fast example of American automotive engineering at its best.

Overall, I had a good time and will remember this one for a long time to come.  Among the most funny memories will be the man whose hand I stepped on as he came crawling out from under a table at which I was viewing some turkey calls.  (If by chance you are reading this, I am sorry, but I bet you won't do that again, will you?)

Sorry I missed you guys, but I was where I said I'd be at the the time I said.  Maybe next time.

quackmaster

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't get there until about 1:30. Redoing I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.

I agree, same outdoor show as usual, just a new year to look at stuff.
Always a good time though.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Okay Welby I may have seen you but am not sure.  This is exactly where I was standing for 45 minutes:  There was a blue four door Silverado and a red ZR2 Tracker next to each other.  I stood with my right hand resting on the blue Silverado's tail gate and the Tracker was to my left.  I felt a little funny after I noticed the Chevy Sales guys kept looking at me.  I had on an orange shirt and a camo ball cap.  Was there from 12:00 central time until 12:45.  Did not move from that spot.  Did you see me?  I was also there from 11:00 until 11:20 just in case someone was on Eastern Time.  JB

(Edited by Jon Bain at 11:12 pm on June 4, 2001)

Welby

Reaction score
Ha, ha....I may have seen you too, JB.  Too bad we missed each other.

You know, when you stand there or hang around a place like that too long, it's funny how suspicious you feel, even with thousands of other folks milling around.  Kind of like when you go in Walmart and you hear that message over the intercom "Rotate Security Cameras To Action Alley", whatever action alley is.  You never know where that alley is and just hope it's not the one you are standing on.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that felt that way in Wal-Mart when they announced those things.  I also get nervus when they say, "Security code red in hardware."  I'm in hardware and I didn't notice anything.  Wait, are they talking about me?  When all they are really saying is someone needs to clean up a spill before they get hit with a law suit.  Sorry I missed ya.

Oh, I checked Wolf Camera for the Cannon Owl today.  Yea, they sell it and are proud of it.  $69.00.  No thanks.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Jon & Welby,
 We all need to put our heads together and come up with a Jesse's Hunting Page Forum logo for caps, shirts,jackets of whatever else. This way we can recognize each other on the street or at gatherings.
Just a thought....what do ya'll think?

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I agree, kind of like the tndeer forum with their hat they have.  It would have made it easier at the DU festival that's for sure.  JB

Top Bottom