DU Hires Governmental Affairs Representative For Louisiana

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Ducks Unlimited Hires Governmental Affairs Representative For Louisiana

4/2/08

LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA – Ducks Unlimited’s Governmental Affairs Representative, Jennifer Grand, begins work April 1, 2008, to coordinate public policy activities affecting wetland restoration and conservation in Louisiana.

“No other individual state has a Ducks Unlimited public policy position,” said Jerry Holden, Ducks Unlimited director of conservation programs for Louisiana. “The magnitude of wetland loss in Louisiana makes it imperative that we incorporate sound policies to preserve what is left and restore what we can. Our on-the-ground conservation efforts alone can not achieve a sustainable coastal ecosystem in Louisiana,” Holden said.

Jennifer will lead the development of an adaptive and comprehensive statewide policy plan with an emphasis on coastal Louisiana consistent with Ducks Unlimited conservation plans, goals and objectives. She will work in close coordination with regional and national policy staff on public policy issues that affect Louisiana or national conservation programs.

No stranger to governmental affairs work, Grand was a Policy Analyst for Governor M. J. “Mike” Foster, Jr, and was the Director of External Affairs at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center of New Orleans. Grand holds a Master of Public Administration from Louisiana State University (LSU).

“I have worked with elected officials and state leaders on issues ranging from health care to economic development,” Grand said. “I also sat on several boards on behalf of Governor Foster, including the Atchafalaya Trace Advisory Board and the State Parks Commission. And during my tenure with LSU, I was responsible for the development and implementation of state legislative priorities for the institution.”

For the past three years, Grand has been running her own business. Now she is again ready to become involved in the world of public policy so that she can work on issues that truly make a difference to her state. Louisiana has already lost 1.2 million acres of coastal wetlands, and another 16,000 acres are lost each year.

Often referred to as “America’s wetland”, the Louisiana coast provides much of the seafood enjoyed nationwide, supports a booming tourism industry, and provides immeasurable environmental benefits. In a post-Katrina world, the importance of coastal wetlands in floodwater retention and decrease of storm surges is apparent.

“I have a strong interest in coastal issues and conservation,” Grand said. “As a business owner in the post Katrina and Rita world, I have learned first hand the impact storms have on our economy and our environment. Coastal restoration is the most important issue facing Louisiana and Ducks Unlimited plays a vital role in this effort,” Grand said.

The Gulf Coast may winter upward of 9 million ducks annually, and it is experiencing dramatic rates of loss, making it one of Ducks Unlimited’s highest conservation priorities.

“We have pledged $15 million towards coastal restoration in Louisiana,” Holden said. “But without the support of public policies that protect wetlands on a landscape scale, our goal of sustainable coastal wetlands will never be realized.”

With more than a million supporters, Ducks Unlimited is the world’s largest and most effective wetland and waterfowl conservation organization with almost 12 million acres conserved. The United States alone has lost more than half of its original wetlands − nature’s most productive ecosystem − and continues to lose more than 80,000 wetland acres each year.

Media Contact:
Andi Cooper. Ducks Unlimited (601) 206-5463 or acooper@ducks.org

Top Bottom