Duck Boat

Chris

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a duck boat.  I hunt alone quite a bit, at least until my boys get a little older, so I'd need something easy to transport and launch.  Anyone have an opinion on those cammo inflatable kayaks I've seen in catalogs?  What do you use?  Kern seems to have a lot of area accessible to boats only...any advice from Kern experts?  Thanks.

Field Mouse

Reaction score
Sorry no opinion on the inflatable kayaks! However, I use a 10ft jon boat w/homade blind. Works great for myself, the dog, and a little room to spare for a buddy.

WVB

Reaction score
You might look into a 15' canoe, the lighter ones are manageable for one person and make very good transportation, I don't shoot out of them in open water any more though :cool: .  Aluminium paints well  , the plastics are hard to get paint to stick to but Walmart is selling wetrlands camo cheap !

dhodsdon

Reaction score
I have a ten foot aluminum boat that is homemade camoflauge.  It works great with no leaks and I bought for 75$.  If you shop around you can get a pretty good deal.  Personally I would stay away from the kayaks, just my personal opinion though.  I also would stay away from used fiberglass boats(nothing but problems).  Get something that is stable with not much maintance.

Greenhead

Reaction score
Besides my 14' Fisher with a home-built blind, I also have two 10' kayaks that I picked up for dirt-cheap at a sporting goods store that was going out of business. The kayaks are not for white water or ocean, and are made for just paddling around lakes and ponds. Big cockpit entrance, and a nice flat spot behind the seat that's perfect for lashing on a decoy sack. It's very stable, and you can shoot out if with no problem. I've shot tons of ducks out of it, and it's deadly for jump shooting. It's dark green in color, and with just a little touch up, it hides perfectly. In the motorless areas at LK, it's the hands down winner. The make is Walden Pond, and I can't recommend it enough.

Top Bottom