Hunting Buddy Wanted duck/geese hunting

torigian

Reaction score
Looking for someone to teach me the roaps.im am not a new hunter but am new to waterfowl.i have all my own stuff just dont no how to call them in.thnks

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I'm not anywhere near you but I offer one piece of advice.
NEVER SWEEP YOUR PARTNERS FACE WITH THE MUZZLE OF YOUR SHOTGUN!
For some reason shotgun hunters seem to exercise the worst muzzle control I have witnessed in the field. Whether waterfowl, turkeys or upland game...the risks seem much higher. Don't be a Cheney!

Last edited:

julian999

Reaction score
I think the OP is clearly asking for advise on how to call waterfowl not to handle a shot gun . one main reason new member don't want to comeback after a few post....

bsanders8181

Reaction score
Julian999 then I offer this...
It's better to not call than call poorly.

Also, a 6 in 1 whistle is your best friend when learning to call. You almost can't screw it up, and there are plenty of videos on the web to get a feel for the whistle

whataboutbob

Reaction score
I've PM'd people many times concerning this waterfowl question you propose.

The best advice I can give you is get yourself into the drawings for reservations up around where you live. Get a ressie and then post for a partner, let them know your situation and go from there.

Other than that look at various duck hunting forums and get familiar with the lingo. Don't go buy a lot of gear, waders, camo you need, sun screen, mosquito spray. Share your ressie and learn.

Dave

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
I've PM'd people many times concerning this waterfowl question you propose.

The best advice I can give you is get yourself into the drawings for reservations up around where you live. Get a ressie and then post for a partner, let them know your situation and go from there.

Other than that look at various duck hunting forums and get familiar with the lingo. Don't go buy a lot of gear, waders, camo you need, sun screen, mosquito spray. Share your ressie and learn.

Dave
What he said.

Regarding calling.... What bsanders8181 said.

Regarding sweeping your gun muzzle.... While unsolicited its not an unwarranted comment, but I would say don't sweep any part of your partner. Not even his big toe.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I think the OP is clearly asking for advise on how to call waterfowl not to handle a shot gun . one main reason new member don't want to comeback after a few post....
Actually he said he's a new hunter and wants to learn the ropes. One of the reasons guys don't take noobs hunting is the very issue i mentioned. I won't hunt with guys who scare the crap outta me by sweeping me with the muzzle of their gun. It's a legit concern and the single most important discipline he needs to be aware of. Feel free to disagree and be wrong all you like Julie.

julian999

Reaction score
Em i reading the OP original post wrong folks! "im am not a new hunter but am new to waterfowl " what is not clear about it ?
Why not just say welcome to waterfowl world and be safe out there .maybe some new member will stay.
You want me to make the letter big Bruce so you can read it correctly?

bughalli

Reaction score
I've duck hunted in probably 6 different states, haven't duck hunted the last couple years due to too many others things to hunt, steelhead fishing, family obligations, etc. But I'm happy to get on the phone and talk you through a bunch of details...at least enough to give you a good chance of being successful. Calling is the very least of your worries, at least in California. You really don't need to call at all and are likely to do more harm than good. PM me if interested.

pbguy

Reaction score
Unless you are hunting a body of water with no competition, the opener, or trying to get a single duck to commit to the decoys don't call. The refuges are packed with people screaming hail calls at every duck that passes and turns into a clear message to the ducks. DONT LAND HERE! the best thing to do would be place a realistic spread. I.e. We mainly have teal and shovler where I hunt. It doesn't do any good to throw out 50 mallard decoys. Also set your spread with what you see. Sometimes only two decoys will work. Other times large spreads work don't be afraid to try and move stuff around. The last tip for decoys I have is buy a jerk string. This is the one legal way in California to have motion in your decoys all season. Concealment is very important. Buy appropriate camo. If your bright white like me paint your face or by a turkey net. Buy some light weight gloves that are camo. Take a little time to brush the blind. These tips will put more ducks into shooting range then calling in my own opinion. If you want to practice calling buy a cheap double reed or whistle and practice while you drive. You may get pulled over for a cop thinking its a crack pipe, but you won't annoy the wife.

Top Bottom