Duck-hunting doctor in U.S. offers free hernia surgery

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Duck-hunting doctor in U.S. offers free hernia surgery

By KRISTA FOSS, Globe & Mail

January 31, 2002

A 62-year old Saskatchewan man who has waited more than 2½ years for surgery has struck a novel deal to meet his medical needs: A U.S. surgeon has agreed to operate on his hernia in exchange for a free duck-hunting trip.

Willard Ylioja said that his hernia, which balloons to half the size of a football if he lifts something, has become steadily worse since 1999, when doctors informed him he would need it repaired.

But because the procedure he needs is considered a non-urgent, non-cancer-related elective surgery, Mr. Ylioja has been languishing on a waiting list for 31 months.

"It does create a lot of discomfort and a lot of restrictions," said Mr. Ylioja, who said he is otherwise healthy and wants to enjoy an active retirement.

Last fall, Fallon, Nev.-based general surgeon Michael Murray booked a hunting trip with Lucky Lake Outfitters, the business that Mr. Ylioja owns and operates about 150 kilometres southwest of Saskatoon.

The area is surrounded by thousands of acres of marshland.

When Dr. Murray found out about Mr. Ylioja's hernia troubles, he examined the man and informed him he was "walking on thin ice."

That's when the arrangement with Dr. Murray, an avid waterfowl hunter, was struck.

In March, Mr. Ylioja will travel to Reno, Nev., on business, but he will also get a CT scan taken for Dr. Murray.

Mr. Ylioja said that if he doesn't hear from the Saskatoon District Health authority in the interim that he can have the operation in Canada, Dr. Murray will do the job in April.

In return, Dr. Murray will be able to enjoy another duck-hunting excursion, worth about $2,000 (U.S.), at Lucky Lake.

But because the operation requires four to five days for recovery, Mr. Ylioja said, he will have to pay several thousand dollars in hospital costs.

"I don't know if it's a good deal when we have to go out of the country, . . ." Mr. Ylioja said. But I want to get repaired."

Sandra Blevins, vice-president of Saskatoon District Health, conceded yesterday that the province has a long elective-surgery waiting list. But she noted that health authorities are working to implement recommendations in a recently released provincial report on surgical waiting times.

"He won't be able to queue-jump," Ms. Blevins said, adding that Mr. Ylioja would not consent to have information released, so she could not speak about the specifics of his case.

Mr. Ylioja said his doctor does not support the arrangement, but that he will proceed despite these concerns.

Saskatchewan Party MLA Carl Kwiatkowski, who made Mr. Ylioja's case public, said yesterday: "This is such an indictment of the health-care system. . . . This is reminiscent of the 1950s, when people traded sides of beef for doctors' care."

huntducks

Reaction score
I'll go up to to Reno and take care of this guy for a couple of days, for a few days of hunting hehehe.

Any of you that want some Goverment run health system best read this one.

Triggerfinger

Reaction score
KID: you be bad.  Leave poor old Billy alone, unless you can say "Laser Surgery"?

Later.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Okay, let's see who REALLY is a hard core ducker. Who would do hemorrhoid surgery for some blind time in Saskatchewan?

I know my friend Dr. Blinky Sweeney would do it.

Top Bottom