Duck hunting new in area

waterfwl

Reaction score
Military guy stationed at Vandenberg by Santa Maria. Did good last year on base but unfortunately due to fires on base, hunting is suspended. I am from the mid-west where its first come first serve to public areas, and from what i can tell its not the same here. I've looked all over at it looks like Kern might be the closest area to me. Any info on Kern? or possibly other areas. any information would be appreciated.

Good luck this weekend!

dead guy

Reaction score
You can apply through the DFW for reservations draws. They do the drawings for each hunt 2 weeks before. You can also show up early the morning of the hunt and put in for the non reservation (sweat line) drawing for spaces still open and refill spots. Kern has 10 reservations spots for the opener and a hunter capacity of 53 hunters at a time. There will be some blinds and and free roam areas to hunt. You will need a Type A waterfowl area pass to hunt on the refuge.
This site has great info for most of the California refuges. https://legallabrador.com/california-hunting/kern-national-wildlife-refuge/

dead guy

Reaction score
Mendota is first come first serve for the non reservation spots and is all free roam. It is a big refuge. Not that much farther than the Kern (20-30 minutes). Non reservations cars line up on the right. People move fast there once things get going. So be ready once the reservation line gets moving. Also, as military you could probably try VC Naval Base. I am pretty sure they have duck blinds for active duty military. Never been there but hear it shoots ok.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom