duck hunting questions

paulc

Reaction score
i hae not hunted ducks in about 15 years.. most of my efforts are toward big game... i am considering getting back into it but want to avoid crowds, hassles, stress that i have read about in some of the posts... dont mind paying a small trespass fee but dont really want to go out and invest in decoys calls and other stuff.. should i just let it go.. is there still waterfowl hunting in dec and jan... nov i still have deer and elk trips planned... lots of questions.. is there a drawing system for waterfowl.. definetly not interested in the sweat lines that are described.. i will be bringing my 12yr old son and possibly my wife that i am trying to get into hunting so i dont want crowds, stress and hassles and tons of ducks are not that important.. just an oppurtunity for a couple shots would be ok.. any thoughts out there on these questions..
thanks in advance...

Greenhead

Reaction score
Let me see, no dekes, no crowds, no sweatlines, no stress, no hassles, kid friendly, and a small trespass fee. Hey, if you find all that and birds to boot, let me know and I'll join you. I'll even bring my new widgeon dekes as a bonus.

jerry d

Reaction score
Paulc,

Go to a licensing agent(sporting good store)and get the booklet on Calif. Wildlife Areas. Some have places where you can hunt ducks with no fee.

Good luck....

P.S.  Don't forget to get yourself a good robo duck.  Sorry, :devil made me do it!!!!

Trapp

Reaction score
They’ll be dying when robo duck is flying  

HE HE HE HE HE

paulc

Reaction score
thanks jerry d.... seems like that robo duck is a touchy subject with alot of folks...   might be opening a can of worms but... do they replace buying  3-4 dozen decoys or do they just improve the spread..

Trapp

Reaction score
It seems to me that a robo duck is just another hunting tool, first you have to be were the ducks what to be and second you have to be a good shot. So just by putting out a robo ducks don't mean your going to get six ducks!!!!!!!!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Paulc - You SHOULD definately get back into waterfowling....and to start your kid on it as well.

A suggestion would be to try the lottery system - you may get lucky and then select a blind site refuge - a place where you can take your wife and son and sit in a blind without having to find a spot in free roam.  You will most likely be more by "yourself" in a blind site than what you may find in free roam.  This may make it "simpler" but you will also find that free roam can have it's advantages.

The booklets described above are a great place to start...but I would also tell you that the sweat lines and hunting in the afternoons can also be wonderful.  Going out during the daylight and hunting the afternoons can also make it "simpler" (less clothing needed most of the time, no flashlights required, can 'see' where you are going, etc)  The mornigs are the best for so many reasons but don't rule out an afternoon...and the no fee areas can be a lot of fun.  

You need the decoys and calls, etc., but try a spot with 12 decoys and see what happens.  If you are not too sure about it all, go slow..BUT, definately go for it.  We can use all the duck hunters we can get.

Best of luck!

P.S.  Forget the robo....it will be "good" for a few weeks this year but it will most likey be done by next year.  I have hunted 35+ years without one and done very well.

(Edited by Duck Fan at 5:49 pm on Sep. 9, 2001)

paulc

Reaction score
thanks duck fan.. what are the best places to apply for in so cal.. how late does duck season go..
thanks again

MikeZ

Reaction score
Hi Paul,
In Socal you have Wister(salton sea area) or San Jacinto(perris valley). If you want to dirve north a good bit you can also reach Kern. Apply for all shoot days for
you and your son and you hopefully will get drawn a couple times throughout the season. Another option is to hit a place like Wister on wednesdays or saturdays and refill sites people have left. You can sometimes have a real good mid-morning/early afternoon hunt there.
Mike  

Top Bottom