Duck Parasites

Reaction score
This past season I was breasting out one of the ducks I had shot and noticed white spots in the breast meat. Not really knowing what that was I googled it and found that it was the parasitic disease Sarcocystis, commonly known as “rice breast disease”.

Is this very common? Have any of you encountered this?

They say its ok to eat as long as you cook it well, but there is something about consuming parasites that doesn’t sit well with me…

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Some seasons I see none, sometimes one or two, but everone agrees that they're harmless to humans if cooked and consumed...that being said, no, I don't eat it. I'm with you, eating parasite ridden meat doesn't do much for my appetite. I've found them in Spoonys and Cinnamons.

Welcome to the forum!

d trees

Reaction score
Had a Bull Sprig last year with it and have seen rice breast a couple times through the years , all the birds with it go to the place the dump aint messing with a Parasite at least the one's I can see ,d

Rudso

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of it but have not come in to contact with that my self... yet. I did get a hen pintail and it looked like she had it not in her breast but on the inside of her breast skin. However, it could of been nothing.

HUNTSDUCKS75

Reaction score
Speaking of parasites, Has anybody noticed a silverfish looking bug moving in the feathers while plucking them they move really fast.

bigolbuck

Reaction score
The silver fish lookin parasite that moves around the feathers of waterfowlare called feather lice. i dont think they like human hair, just bird feathers.

ducslayer

Reaction score
One or two a year,I have seen it in Mallard ,Sprig & spoonies.I loved roast duck but now I breast them to be sure of not eating any with it............Jim

Orygun

Reaction score
Another good reason to wear gloves when cleaning birds. There was a news story a couple seasons back where a guy got one of those in a cut in his ginger. Really the only way to get that parasite. I love rice with my duck for dinner, just not already in the meat.

Reaction score
Jim im with you, since seeing that im have and will just about always breast out my ducks...

It was strange to me, it wasnt just like a spot here and a spot there, the breast was littered with them. I would have thought there wouldnt have been so many....

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The silver fish lookin parasite that moves around the feathers of waterfowlare called feather lice. i dont think they like human hair, just bird feathers.[/b]
I had some ducks hanging a few years back which I bumped into...one of those lice climbed into my eyebrow, thought I'd have to shave it off to get rid of the little bugger, they hang on REAL tight!

d trees

Reaction score
One season 7-8 years ago we were leaving Mendota after a half day hunt heading to Gray Lodge for the Pheseant opener going about 70 and I felt something run across my forehead what the hell
,,, look into the rearview mirror and holy moly I was swerving my buddy was laughing and I played hell trying to get it off ! they stick like velcro little buggers
,d

MQ

Reaction score
I AINT THAT HUNGRY THAT I'D EAT ONE OF THOSE

Top Bottom