Duck Summer Sausage

slayin67

Reaction score
I came out to visit my parents today and completely take over their huge kitchen! I have been going back and forth on when to do this summer sausage project and I finally broke down and said today is the day. I visited bass pro a few days ago and purchased a summer sausage kit which came with all the cures, seasonings, and casings I would need to take on this "little" project. I put that in quotes because there is nothing little about it. Its a hell of a lot of work!
Started out by defrosting a bunch of birds. While they were still frozen I pulled the skin off. It came off easily. Had I known I would be making sausage this year, I would have never bothered to go to the trouble of picking all my birds so cleanly. Took about 2 hours to thaw the birds and gave them a good soak. Then put them in the fridge and ran to Barbecues Galore to get the new smoker! I went with the masterbuilt with digital temperature and digital time display. Excellent purchase. I got the last one they had, the floor model. Had no choice though. I was determined to get this thing done this weekend. Then I headed to the wally world (super wally's out here) and purchesed 4.5 lbs of eye of the round and about 8 pounds of pork shoulder.
Came back home and cut all the meat up into cubes. This is really important for the grinder. I have an industrial grinder that is 1800 watt, but it still struggles at times, especially when the meat is really soft and slimy.
I ground the meat through the first time to just get it chopped up. This was with a coarse disk. The holes are larger in size. The meat comes about about 3 times the size of hamburger.

Once I had all the meat ground down, I mixed it all together in a large pot by hand. I planned on making ~15-20lb of sausage so I just followed the directions on the box. I wound up adding 12 ounces of cold water to the pot along with some seasoning and cure. Then carefully mixed the steak, pork, and duck together. I thoroughly mixed in the seasoning and cure. Then added more meat...more cure...etc... The final mix was one full bag of seasoning and one full bag of cure.
Once this was all mixed up nicely by hand, I ran it back through the grinder one more time on a fine setting. This was hamburger meat size. It mixed the meats beautifully. The challenge the second time around was the meat was warming up and very soft. It makes it a nightmare to get the meat to move through the grinder. All sorts of strange suction and air pockets make the meat want to come back out the top. It took me an hour to get it through the 2nd time!!
I then soaked the hog casings for an hour in warm water and put the meat in the fridge to cool down. I put some in the freezer as well b/c I ran out of storage space in the fridge. Then I recruited mom to help me with the actual stuffing part of the process. All I can say is MESSY!! Its a lot of fun too though :) I hooked up the stuffing attachment to my grinder and forced/pushed the meat through a 3rd time. With the stuffer, I did not use a blade. Only the large grinding plate. Its not a perfect science but we got it to work. It took about another hour to stuff 6 sausage casings. Each casing holds 3 pounds of meat. I wound up filling them all perfectly with the exact amount of meat. It was a great guestimation on my part as I didnt weigh anything. The meat has to sit in the fridge for 12 hours. I will check back in with you boys tomorrow and let you know how the smoking goes. I have decided on an alder wood smoke! Should be delicious! Any advice on smoking would still be greatly appreciated before I make any mistakes.

slayin67

Reaction score
It was a LONG day of smoking yesterday! Here are some pics of the rest of the day.

slayin67

Reaction score
I have! It is delicious! I had a buddy pay A LOT of money to have this stuff made. I am gonna say over $600 for 75lbs but don't quote me. His was delicious and I would say the sausage I made is comparable in taste and much less expensive. This year was costly due to the purchase of all the equipment to make it but now I can do stuff all year long! Planning to make some beef jerkey this weekend. Gonna test out one of those beef jerkey guns I think. Or I may just use the meat slicer and a tri-tip and smoke some jerkey. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Just wanted to share the duck sausage pics b/c Jesse asked me to post it up here.

Bulleye

Reaction score
That looks good. How long will that sausage last without refrigeration? I love smoking meat when I have time. It is a delicate balance to do it right but when it turns out right it is great! I smoked a Turkey once and it came out great. Fish is also fun to do. Enjoy your new smoker.

slayin67

Reaction score
I do not know about the refigeration. I vacuum sealed it all and froze it. not sure what I'm supposed to do to care for it otherwise.
It was a delicate process and took a long time but it was rewarding in the end and I am proud of the finished product.

db 183

Reaction score
That is great. My daughter and I made 25 pounds of Deer Bratwurst using the seasoning kit from Cabela's. Glad to see the summer sausage worked out so well.

Vacuum sealing and freezing it is fine. It will last a long time that way. Take a stick out everytime you have a party. The guests will love it.

I am going to make duck sausage out of my remaining ducks as well. I am going to try the andouille mix. I will let you know how it turns out.

PS - Love the new smoker.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Good for you! Love that smoker! I've got an electric Brinkman and a Big Chief...now I've got smoker envy! We make quite a bit of jerky, and I highly recommend using good quality roasts, and well marbled. We use a meat slicer. Slice it thin, marinate overnight in homemade teryaki, and fight off the neighbors...

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Awesome post Slayin. I gotta get me a grinder and a smoker

Top Bottom