Ducklings here and there

faith

Reaction score
In our local dams, spreading grounds and flood channels I have seen ducklings following their mom's around in our local areas of LA county
flood control property. I noticed alot more this year, hope it is a good sign.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hey, I was working down by Rio Hondo Weds but I didn't have time to peek around and take pics. It looked dry in the channel I was near. Where you seeing the ducklings?

faith

Reaction score
There in our local channels,washes, debris basins and spreading grounds that have no public access. There in our foothill cities from Azusa to Montclair, miles of small water that only LACPW, Flood division has access to. Rio Hondo is a sensitive issue as I Know the " duck killer" he is not about to get that reputation again. What you see is a result of not wanting ducklings to die there again. The Law determins how much and when water can be moved from one area to another area. In drought conditions we try to keep as much as possible in our foothill areas and as everyone knows we got a small percentage of what we hoped for.
If anyone spent almost everyday in these little local hidden places they would also be as optomistic as I am, It is a good sign.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
faith, I was just asking which flood basin, like as in the exact flood basin so I could look next time if I'm there. Just so you know, Fire, ISD, SO all have access, it's not just DPW in the basins and channels. FS62 just pulled a baby bobcat out of one channels over in Claremont a week ago. Momma bobcat was not amused but she got her kitten back.

ORElkBow

Reaction score
I didn't see any ducklings where I was at but saw lots of younger hens although we did see lots a month ago. I think it'll be another nice year this year here in OR.

faith

Reaction score
I would give exact name but I know not just hunters monitor our forum ie,peta, anti-hunters a various others who would not hisitate to cause problems.
Lets just say it was not a dry flood channel and leave it at that. We also have problems with county employees during work and off duty, illegally fishing in our facilities with family and friends and yes we have chased out our share of off duty LACFD,ISD,EDISON,SO and local PD's who use there keys illegally to access a facilities for there own personal private pond and not just them, our own and various other departments. Those keys that give them access to our right of ways are for the use of them performing there duties, not sight seeing or recreation. I see what I see during the performance of my work and its a beautiful extra let me tell you!
Sorry no other info, but that they were small pockets of water that the ducks must know over the years that dont dry out do to underground springs or inability to perculate very well.

Last edited:

Orygun

Reaction score
faith,

you guys still get the county vertebrate control folks out there? I spent a lot of time in that area in the early 90s killing gophers and squirrels.

faith

Reaction score
Orygun
Not that I know of! In fact I see so many gophers and squirrles everyday that I doubt that problem exist anymore.
Hey I have family in hillsburrow(not sure on the spelling) its 20 min. west of Portland/South of hwy26. Is that any where near you?

Orygun

Reaction score
Hillsboro is about 90 minutes north of here.

faith

Reaction score
Orygun
I knew the spelling was wrong. One of my sisters lives in North Plains and the other in Hillsboro, they both work in Beaverton! My brother-in-law and nephews all work in Portland
My nephew is settimg up a waterfowl hunt for us this season at one of his buddy's parents place. It will be my first waterfowl hunt jn your state and I cant wait. I see the geese and ducks almost every year for the last 10 years, but never had the chance.

Last edited:

faith

Reaction score
I spotted 5 youngsters and 2 adults today in a local desillting basin. Hot much color right now, I'll keep an eye on them from time to time.

Top Bottom