Ducks Arrive

MQ

Reaction score
My brother-in-law drove down from Chico to the Bay Area yesterday and reported that he saw "thousands of ducks" flying around, apparently just arrived from somewhere. My speculation is that these birds would have normally stopped at the Klamath basin, but have bypassed that due to lack of water. Hope we have enough water in the valley to support these birds.....

Jay

Reaction score
There's always the delta and the bay. They tend to get any overflow.

My guess is come opening day in the balance of state, every stitch of water will be loaded with ducks.

Spec

Reaction score
There are already Sprig arriving in the grasslands these birds will be fat and sassy by opener or in Mexico LOL!!!   :shootin:

mudroller

Reaction score
I saw a ton of ducks in rice fields along 4 mile road this last weekend too......hoping for a good opener.

Duke

Reaction score
I saw a few the other day in the midwestern part of the country.

Duke

Reaction score
I saw a few the other day in the midwestern part of the country.

WigeonBuster

Inactive
Reaction score
You guys are not very smart. Those birds are the young from this years hatch. They have not even had a small coldfront yet way up north its unlikely that they have started now.

Jay

Reaction score
Every year there is a contingent of pintails that migrate early. I'd be courious to see if they were siberian nesters.

This is a known early flight which happens every year. Being "smart" has nothing to do with it.

(Edited by Jay at 3:03 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

hntndux

Reaction score
My friend owns a ranch/hunting club near Pleasant Grove and he says every year in August the pintails move in.  He said they're around for less than two weeks before they head out.  Teal move out pretty early too, but I don't think it would be this early...

kilbuc

Reaction score
Pintail have what you call a differential migration.  Adult males migrate very early.  Generally see the 1st adult males in the Grasslands the 1st or 2nd week of August.  Been happening for over 50 years.  I 1st saw them when I worked in the Los Banos area in the late 60's.

Spec

Reaction score
Loads of Sprig arrive in california in late July or early August these are the males that have left the nesting grounds and though not many young will be here  the young you see will more than likley be local birds!

huntducks

Reaction score
I'll bet the pins are local birds Ca.Or.& Nv. not all move to the tundra, many stay close and will move back and forth up and down the state as the year goes on.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom