Dusk to Dawn sensor???

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I've been using my cam on a local ranch to get pics of coyotes. My problem is that I can only run the cam at night because there are people walking past it all day. I am using a thermostat on it right now, but it only turns the cam on for a few hours a night, due to the temp settings I'm using. My question is...Has anyone managed to make a photocell from a dusk to dawn light work in one of these cams? I remember about a year ago someone was messing with one trying to make it work. I looked through all of the old posts, but couldn't find it. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks.           Scott

davered1

Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken the MS20 already has a night only mode. all you need to do is set it to auto mode.Dont remove the light senor when modifying board either.You will have a 1 1/2 minute delay unless you modify it with one of gantley and jonj5's on board timers.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong , I have been known to be wrong before, once, I think?

Dave

(Edited by davered1 at 8:00 pm on July 5, 2002)

Jon5ja

Reaction score
Hi, Dave et al.

As supplied, the MS20's day/night sensor will only work if you're running it at 24 volts.  Depending on the voltage at which you're running the MS20, you'll need to change R27 (it's a 6.8K from the factory):

For 12V, change R27 to 15K
For 9V, change R27 to 22K
For 6V, change R27 to 33K

This will allow the factory circuit to work as designed (the turn-on may be a little darker than factory, due to my rounding up to standard resistor values).

Jon

davered1

Reaction score
I guess I have to mark it up to twice.

Mind you I was half right!!:dancinred:

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just so I know in terms that my simple, non-electronically inclined mind can understand....since I'm running my MS20 at 9v, I need to change R27 to a 22k resistor. Then when the sensor is switched to "auto" it will come on at dusk and turn off at dawn(or thereabouts). Thanks again.              Scott

Jon5ja

Reaction score
grtwythunter,

Yep, that's it (unless I lost my mind calculating, but it looks like a reasonable number since you cut the voltage to about 1/3 and you approximately tripled the resistance).

Jon

Latest Posts

Top Bottom