Dwight Schuh

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Did you guys see that Dwight Schuh ran the Boston Marathon? AND came in under 4 hrs. That is incredible! Especially considering he's got to be over 60 years old. Pretty cool that someone who's been bowhunting since before a lot of us were a twinkle in our daddy's eye is still out there charging it! I find that inspiring. I'm sure it won't but I hope my body holds up half as well. If my ankle wasn't jacked I'd be strapping on the shoes this afternoon for sure. Instead I'll have to pound the eliptical and stairclimber.

I'm sure a lot of you also know that Cameron Hanes ran it too and actually outpaced Lance Armstrong in the process. Pretty amazing for sure, but we already knew that guy is an animal. It's awesome to see bowhunters representin!

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I wonder if they run with any cool hunting slogan shirt or something?! Does not surprise me from Cameron, the guys is just DRIVEN.

Mr. Schuh is THE MAN!

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I hadn't read that, awesome.

Cool Cam outpaced Lance, but I look forward to seeing Lance give running or maybe tri a real effort, vice the hobby it is now.

Dwight ran that trail ultra with cam last year, that was more impressive to me as it is nuts. But Boston being 10k downhill to start is pretty big news, as his older body is getting hammered running down hill.

4hrs is a great time for any marathon for anyone, let alone someone Dwight's age in Boston, the biggest marathon in the world.

And we all know the scenery is better on the eliptical than the road, don't try pull the wool over our eyes.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Especially in La Jolla. The scenery is awesome. Well worth the $60 a month.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ May 9 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Especially in La Jolla. The scenery is awesome. Well worth the $60 a month.[/b]
Can you set up your trail cam and post some shots here for inspiration????

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Cam ran Boston in a camo shirt.......gotta like that, and he kicked Lances butt, even better!

easymoney

Reaction score
This man is the epitome of the ultimate bow hunter... He is what many would rightfully love to be.
Humble, unassuming and always helpful... A great spokesperson for our sport...

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Well said Easy, well said.

Anyone got any idea what cam's and Dwight's number was? we could dig up the pics and see em in action.

Kirk let's do a marathon next spring. I know 2Rocky is game for that.

easymoney

Reaction score
I have always had the utmost respect for this man and the fact that he never caved to glory and money to be had from aligning and endorsing ones self with products, speaks volumes about his character... I have always strived to follow in his footsteps, yet they are soooo big...

Bulleye

Reaction score
Who wants to train for a marathon? I have been running for the last 4 months trying to get into marathon shape. Let me know if your looking for a hunting/marathon buddy.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bearclaw @ May 9 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well said Easy, well said.

Anyone got any idea what cam's and Dwight's number was? we could dig up the pics and see em in action.

Kirk let's do a marathon next spring. I know 2Rocky is game for that.[/b]
Dwight's number was 19770.

Re: marathon, I'm in if you guys are. I've never run a marathon but I'd like to get one under my belt; can't think of a better motivator than doing one with a bunch of JHO'ers.

I believe Cam ran Boston at about a 6 1/2 minute pace. I don't think I can do one mile in 6.5, let alone 26. I hear he's got a 100 miler in his sights next.........amazing.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I got a tough half mary I will possibly do last weekend in August, the Pier to Peak here in Santa Barbara. 4,000ft elevation gain from start to finish. Hoping to do the Vineman half Ironman this late July, still on the waiting list to get in.

What time frame are ya'll talking for a marathon?

Second thought this probably needs another thread, Dwight deserves this topic to stay on course.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Monsterbull....there's some great trail marathons over by the coast, look at envirosports.com or pctrailruns.com. I've done a handful of their races, grassroots racing at its best and in some great scenic locations. My running has been cut way back, but lets pick a race and get in on the books.

Monsterbull

Reaction score
Tell ya what though, putting in a marathon at over 60 is pretty impressive. I know there are a ton of dudes that age that do, but you don't hear much about old guys doing it to get in shape for hunting.

Anyway, regarding plans for picking a race...............over to the other thread.

2rocky

Reaction score
I really respect Dwight on all levels. As a Hunter and as an all around human being. He was doing backpack bivy hunts before I was old enough to put on my own pants. The fact that he can still do the hard core stuff just reinforces the degree of toughness, and determination the man possesses.

Thanks for the inspiration Dwight, keep it up!

Guess I have no excuse to gripe about my 4 hr training run tomorrow...

I believe they call him "the Spider"? Dunno why though....

Oh yeah SD, I'll be waitin for those "inspiration photos" too....

Barkoff

Reaction score
This is the first (not being a bow hunter) I have heard of the gentleman, he seems to have the drive alright...

So did I read it right, he learned to shoot a bow with his mouth so he wouldn't miss a hunting season? That is pretty driven alright.

I sure wish I could find my old drive again. When I was in my twenties I used to work ten to twelve a day in a meat packing plant, and driving a route, go home, hit the spa, then take a four mile run through Capitola. Slowly but surely the energy level started to drop through my forties, and about a year ago I hit the frigging wall at 48. Now it takes real effort just to drag my butt out after work and do any exercising.

I usually force myself to hit the sand dunes before work, three or five times a week, for the two months before the season, but it takes that urgency to drive me to up and down those dunes.

It sucks when you go to feeling invincible to vulnerable in a span of five years, but I'm still trying to get that fire back. Job, teenagers, bills, stress, it's a killer!

Monsterbull

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barkoff @ May 18 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I sure wish I could find my old drive again. When I was in my twenties I used to work ten to twelve a day in a meat packing plant, and driving a route, go home, hit the spa, then take a four mile run through Capitola. Slowly but surely the energy level started to drop through my forties, and about a year ago I hit the frigging wall at 48. Now it takes real effort just to drag my butt out after work and do any exercising.

I usually force myself to hit the sand dunes before work, three or five times a week, for the two months before the season, but it takes that urgency to drive me to up and down those dunes.

It sucks when you go to feeling invincible to vulnerable in a span of five years, but I'm still trying to get that fire back. Job, teenagers, bills, stress, it's a killer![/b]
I know what you mean, but you can get it back. For me I had the good fortune of having some health issues (stay with me) that forced me to exercise and make some changes to my diet. Prior to that I still had the motivation to get in shape for hunting season, but I would always slack off after the season was over and put on a bunch of weight I'd have to work off again. I was still in OK shape, but then some problems with blood sugar and cholesterol popped up and that pushed me to stay on a year-round exercise regimen. Not only did I get my weight down and health back to better than normal, I get to maintain a level of fitness for what I really love to do...........HUNT. That was the "urgency" I needed. Also, my wife never complains about my spending time working out to stay in shape; although I'm worth more dead than alive, she really doesn't want me to croak prematurely.

Once you get into a habit, it really does help your drive -- won't help you directly with job, teenagers or bills, but just the reduction in stress alone is worth it.

Top Bottom