DWU last Saturday

MapMan

Reaction score
Droopy and myself, as well as a couple of guys from San Diego QU, one guy from Pheasants Forever, Leon and about 6 other locals worked on the holding pen untill about 1:00 p.m. We got about 2/3 of the chicken wire secured over the framework and about 1/3 of it hog ringed together. There is still quite a bit left to do but it was too hot to continue any longer. Leon's wife, a very sweet lady who likes to hunt Deer and Elk only, fed us a great home cooked meal of Tri-tip, rolls, fried chicken, potato salad, some awesome baked beans, fresh Cantelope and chocolate cake. I took a few pictures and sent them off to Droopy to have posted for those who wish to see them. The Pheasant chicks have grown quite a bit compared to the pictures Karstic posted a few weeks back.

Leon gave another tour of about 1/2 of the fields. I saw quite a few dove and the fields were doing well. The Milo was heavy with seed, as was the Wheat, Saflower and the Sudan Grass. I brought my gps along and tracked the route we drove as well as collected many way points. I was displaying them today on my Delorme map software and it worked great. It will help me to find the spots I wish to return to on opening day!

Leon may ask for more help again if he can't get enough local help to finish the Pen. Later in the year he may also need help releasing the Pheasants in the fields. That would be a great advantage to have knowlege of where the birds are. He also said that maps of all DWU fields will be made available before the opener.

Thanks to all those who have helped with this project. It is important to help preserve hunting areas and opportunities for future hunters. Volunteering is a great way to give back and to ensure that the memories of days in the field with fellow hunters will continue. Leon is one hard working, dedicated 70 year old who truly loves what he does. We need many more like him and we all need to help out when we can. I know I will be back to help out as well as to hunt.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Good to hear progress has been made. Everyone that has worked on these projects deserves an atta boy.

Mapman would you like to trade some coordinates?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
A big thanks to all you that have helped out with the pheasants. Please post when the next help is needed, I know a few more of us want to get down there also to lend a hand.

Top Bottom