E. Sierra Opener 2008

aconcrete

Reaction score
Just a little more than a month to go for the start of the fishing season!
How are the lower elevation lakes looking?
With all the weather we had in January im sure most of the lakes are still frozen over and the snowpack is still
pretty good.
Hopefully it will be a good season.
I don't usually go for opener...to busy.
I wait a few weeks and then make a trip up.
Got any info for me Yort?

aconcrete

Reaction score
BTTT
Might as well open this up to more than just the status of the lakes.
Is any one going up for the opener?

YORT40

Reaction score
As of today, the shore lines around Crowley have about 50 yds of open water, the rest of the lake is frozen. The snow on the ground is melting fast, but we are still snowmobiling on a 3 foot pack in some areas.

Orygun

Reaction score
A poor opener and lots of cold water would make for a better season long term. Spread the fish out more. High fast water is good for scouring out the creek beds and creating spawning areas. Do they let people out onto the ice at Crowley???

buckfever07

Reaction score
I've gone up for the opener for the last eight years. I have a friend who went skiing at June this weekend and they told him there is still about 10" of ice on June.

YORT40

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orygun @ Mar 24 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do they let people out onto the ice at Crowley???[/b]
Not sure! I do know that during the winter both the Fire Dept. & sheriff ask ice skaters to get off the lake if seen. But a few of my employee's try to ice fish the lakes in the Mammoth basin every year.

aconcrete

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Yort.
I'll probably ask you for a report down the road again.
I am not going up till the end of May and then again in the middle of June.
I usually like to stay up by the Virginia lakes, which might be tough in May this year.
Hopefully will be doing it this year in September/October with a X-12 tag in my pocket as well.
Thanks again

RVRKNG

Reaction score
Hey Yort! We are planning to camp at French Camp on Rock Creek for the opener, or is it to snowed in? Do you know?

Jeff M.

gc4279

Reaction score
Here is a picture of Convict lake taken Sunday the 30th.
Gary C.

aconcrete

Reaction score
Great picture of Convict lake.
Thanks for the update gc!

YORT40

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RVRKNG @ Apr 1 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Yort! We are planning to camp at French Camp on Rock Creek for the opener, or is it to snowed in? Do you know?

Jeff M.[/b]
It doesn't look good unless you're going to x-country ski in or someone plows the road. The snow is almost gone in the flat areas, and the ice on Crowley broke Friday, so it's opening up. But canyons like Rock Creek & Mcgee have plenty of snow in the shade.

buckfever07

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything new on the June loop? I hope the ice is melting fast....

aconcrete

Reaction score
The report on June in this week's edition of WON says that the ice is breaking up by the marina and there is quite a bit of open water showing.
They also said that Silver could be iffy.
I guess there is still a lot of snow on the ground and pretty deep where there is constant shade.
Hope this helps.

hronk

Reaction score
Since this years winter is just in the normal range, most of the lower level lakes should be open and have good access. Warmer temps. are only a part of what opens these lakes. We need high winds as you see in the picture of Convict. Intake 2 on Bishop Cr. will be open, South lake will be frozen and Sabrina will be iffy. I would bet that June, Gull and Grant will be wide open. Silver lake, sitting in a very protected location might not be open. I went by Bridgeport on Weds. on my way back from Pyramid Lake and it is open and low. Crowley is opening and the 1st good blow should open it right up. Rock Cr. lake usually doesn't open until later in May. Hope that this helps....hronk

buckfever07

Reaction score
Well, I guess that's good news for the opener. Thanks for the information guys.

weto

Reaction score
Sounds like a very promising opener, Fish are gonna be HUNGRY!

-Weto

gc4279

Reaction score
I couldn't wait for the opener and went to the Owens Valley this weekend. Crowley was pretty much clear of ice. It looked like the wind was blowing the ice from one side to the other broken up. It should be no problem in very short time.

Oh ya, I caught a few fish to

Those last two represent my personal best Rainbow and Brown so far on a fly rod. It was an awesome trip

Gary C.

buckfever07

Reaction score
Those are some nice fish! A couple friends and I just started fly fishing classes last week.

Top Bottom