Eagle dive bomb

Duke

Reaction score
One time before school turkey hunting this year about 5:30 I heard movement above me and saw a big bird fly down from the trees toward the field where my dekes were thinking it was a turkey I got my gun ready and then watched as the bird landed on the other side of my dekes and as i was watching it trying to get my binos out it flew at my deke and grabbed its head and as far as I knew it flew off.  So I went out fixed my deke and sat back down thinking it was an owl because I've heard stories of them attacking turkeys.  About 6:00 that morning it was light enough to see I heard another noise in the trees and saw a big bird again this time I got my binos out before it landed and when it did I saw it was a full grown mature bald egale sitting about 50yd from me behind my dekes.  It was the biggest bird I've seen in the wild.  It then flew made a low circle about 5 feet above deke with it's feet out and flew off.  I later found out my dad and brother had seen it there before too.  It must have had a nest around that area because it is wierd for a eagle to be in central MO at that time.

Tominator

Reaction score
I've never had a bird of any kind attack my dekes but I have had a kestrel try to attack me 3 different times while bowhunting, twice in one day!
Tominator

Welby

Reaction score
Great story!  Thanks for sharing.

I have had two different hawks try to remove my head while deerhunting.  And believe it or not, this was in one evening!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I had a golden eagle run off a jake that was coming to my deke one year. I was tasting those drum sticks in my mind and suddenly woooosh and off ran the jake and there I sat with just trail mix. It's kewl to see those huge raptors working.

I've heard of them grabbing dekes too.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
great story Duke. Consider yourself among the lucky few that have gotten to witness a Bald Eagle like that. I have only seen one Bald Eagle in the wild, it was fishing in a river and was an awesome sight to watch.

TScottW99

Reaction score
saw an eagle attack one day and it was quite funny....  when i was stationed in Sasebo, Japan.  It was Thanksgiving day 1994 and I was headed out to town to try to find something to do since the base was deserted.  I took a short cut through a field along side the harbor.  About halfway across the field I noticed a seagull sitting on the wall's edge above the harbor.  As I got closer the seagull started to notice me and "stood" up to take off.  About six inches into the air this huge bird comes swooping in and sinks it's talons into the gull.  Feathers went flying everywhere and the sea eagle landed with his meal. I got a good laugh at the gull's demise since I really don't like those nasty birds :smile-big-blue:

I've seen a couple of bald eagles in the wild here but not too often.  Sure would have been neat to see whay you did.

Top Bottom