Early Bird

tomturkey

Reaction score
Well, I got a chance to go hunt the lowcountry here in SC yesterday. Was invited by a friend who has never killed a turk to come & hunt with him on his deer lease. He said there were plenty of birds and that was an understatement. He also invited another mutual friend on the hunt & our goal was to get him a bird, but that didn't quite work out.

The birds were tight lipped at daybreak so we started toward the river bottoms in search of something more promising. As soon as we crossed out of the pines on the hill top & into the hardwoods, a bird gobbled less than 100 yards to our left. We hurried to set up with our host in what looked to be the best spot & one caller a few yards on each side of him. As soon as I got set up & grabbed my slate call from my vest, I heard rustling in the leaves. I cut my eyes to my left, & there were birds everywhere. I purred on my mouth call & at least 3 gobbled. They started walking in front of me toward my buddy so I let them pass in hopes that he would get one. I looked down the barrel at 3 longbeards as they filed by. I waited & waited & waited some more. Then as the4th lonbeard stepped out of my shooting lane, I heard the sound that every turkey hunter dreads, PUTT! PUTT! PUTT! I stayed on the shooting lane & a bright red head appeaerd. I blasted & ran to the bird.
My heart sank somewhat. There lay a young jake that I hadn't seen before. I don't have anything against jakes, but when you're expecting a big boy it's kind of a let down.

Later in the morning, we got on another gobbling bird and he was coming in a trot, so we set our host up where we thought he would come up a road bed. Well, he wasn't very cooperative either. He circled behind the intended shooter & came straight to my calling. The other friend shot him when he got so close to me that he saw my eyes & spooked. He was a hoss, 20lbs 10"beard & 7/8 spurs.

All in all a great day except for the extra hot & humid weather conditions & the fact that we failed to get one for our host. Being the great guy that he is, he said he understood that sometimes thins just work out that way & he might even let us come back next year :D

tomturkey ;)    

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great story tomturkey. Now you got me all worked up and the season is still 12 days away for us here.:skeered:

trkyhntr

Reaction score
Great story tomturkey !! I have a month to go till season, don't no if i can read many more stories like that.:smile-yellow:

Freedom

Reaction score
Geez, talk about making a guy feel bad!  All your seasons start by the 1st of April, here in PA we have to wait all the way until April 27th!!!  I'm so green with envy I won't even need camo to scout this weekend!!!  

Good luck to you all and keep posting your stories and pics so I at least have something to keep me occupied instead of wallowing in self pity!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom