Early Lancaster in .50 cal

ltdann

Here's a my winter project. Took me 135 hours. Its an early Lancaster, circa 1770. Has a Rice swamped barrel with a 1:66 twist, Germanic golden age lock. The stock is extra curly northern maple, finished with ferric nitrate, heat blushed and then sealed and hand rubbed finish.

The wire inlay is .999 silver.

The barrel is rust finished, oil finished and sealed with linseed oil. Water just beads up and rolls off.

Attachments

ltdann

Normally they do, I chose not to install it. Alot of work for a little storage area that covers pretty wood

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

inchr48

Nice work, ltdann!

Need a pic of it and you in your buckskins..............

Should shoot PRB's pretty nicely.

ltdann

So far so good, still working up a load though. My next build will be a walnut Jaeger rifle, much shorter.

ltdann

Yep, chambers lock. I don't know anyone that makes their own barrels.

ltdann

There's about a half dozen companies, all small, that offer a collection parts, that are consistent to particular style of rifles.

I won't say they are kits, like traditions.

Kits imply that you can snap them together in a weekend and go shooting. These are not like that.

R.E. Davis, Track of the Wolf, Jim Chambers, Muzzle loader building supply, Jim Kibler rifles, etc are a few.

Their collection of parts offers a starting point (a particular style) so that you build your own unique variation.

They ain't cheap either. That Lancaster set me back around $1000 in parts, but it's the real deal, not some cheap imported POS that may or may not shoot.

Expect to wait for parts. I waited 4 months for the stock. A year to gather everything isn't unheard off. Helps spread the cost.

No special tools are needed, hand tools are way to go. If you make a mistake with power tools, it'll ruin the build

A good set of files, small wood chisels, sand paper, ruler and pencil etc.

The first thing I bought was https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/321/1/BOOK-ABPL Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle.

Do the research, select a style, stay close to the style, be patient and know when to walk away and think.

That's my first rifle build. If you have ever changed your own brakes, you can build one of those.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
That's a beautiful work of art, Ltdann. I'd love to think I had the time, patience and skill to do that. I'm with inchr; waiting on a picture of you and those buckskins letting one fly from the flintlock. ;)

ltdann

Hey, it's my first one! It's not like it was super hard. There are plenty of mistakes on it, all of which I learned from. Using mostly hand tools allows you to slow down and think it through.

The silver work does require practice. I did the same designs on practice maple using brass and got the tooling and techniques down before I committed to the stock.

A couple of weekends, an hour on weekdays, viola!

Top Bottom