Easiest Cam to make?

BugleMIn

Reaction score
I have one camera, I had much frustration getting it to work, but it works and is in the field now.  I had Jesse wire that one for me.  Soldering is something I have never done until I made this cam.

I want to build a couple more and am wondering what is the easist sensor to use?  I used the radio shack on my first.  Do you guys put tape on the radio shack pir sides to minimize the field?

I know the other PIRs are cheaper but are they as easy for beginners to build?I also used a doskicil gun case for the box and would do that differently this time too.

Thanks

bat

Reaction score
Congratulations BugleMin on getting your first one up and running.  I use the RS PIR on all of mine because it is hard to find the MS20 around here.  I started putting my PIRs inside the case and just cut a 1'' hole for the fesnal lense and glue it to the inside of the enclosure.  It is working fine for me.  Would like to try the MS20 but like I say they are harder to get your hands on.  I think either one is pretty easy to use.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 The RS 49-425 and the MS20 or Mainstay as it is today are both equally easy to modify IMHO.I use 9VDC in both sensors and in the MS20/Mainstay I use the square blue Relay that looks like the relay you take out,you have to clip off one of the pins for it to go on the board but it is easy to find witch one to clip off.
 I like both sensors as well.

MBullism

Reaction score
I like the RS PIR for the 9 volt battery.  I found the wiring to be simple, the only real connection to the #2 pin (I haven't yet tried Tinhorns latest mods). I'm thinking about using the same approach as bat on my next.  On my previous ones I've cut the RS housing through the case...  The range of the RS sensor seems suited to my cams flash as well.

I've been putting black silicone over the fresnal lense, leaving the middle three bars exposed.  So far, so good.

M

davered1

Reaction score
6 of one half a dozen of the other. Both are easy after you do a couple. First ones are difficult if you don't have any electronics background.

If you want to use the MS20, you should run it off 6V and a 5Vrelay. You can govern the distance by moving the fresnal lense to around 1",then it has about same distance of RS(30+ ft).

Here is a pic of ms20 board with everything removed, also has markings for 5vrelay hook-up.

If you want you can email me. I will walk you through any problems you encounter(hopefully)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If Dave's out of pocket, I'll be glad to walk you thru on the MS20 also

Butch

Gator

Reaction score
 I am partial to the Lamson setup.  I took mine straight out of the box, no modifications needed.  I soldered a wire to the inside of the socket and one to the outside of the socket, 2 minutes worth of work.  It comes with a 1 min delay and a 10 min delay.  I use the 1 min and I am happy with it. All the pics on my link posted below were taken with the Lamson/Sure Shot AF setup, except the ones that are labled Holley Tree.  They were taken with the BuckShot 35.  The pics are not as dark as they appear for some reason when I scanned them in they posted darker than they really are.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gator,

Where are you finding the Lamson's now, I think Lowe's quite handling them?

Thanx

Tinhorn

Rooter

Reaction score
As a true new guy with limited electronics knowledgeI really believe each has its pros and cons.  I modified a RS-PIR first and found it very easy.  I like the fact that it the 9volt battery is ready to go and it uses very little power.  I also like that it is not re-triggerable.  When a pic is taken it will take a pic as soon as the sensor has reset regardless of movement in front of it.  The major downside is the cost.  It cost $19.99 on sale.  The price of multiple cams adds up quick.  I then tried a MS-20 and had difficulty.  The guys on this forum were awesome.  They did everything but put one together for me (which several people offered to do.) Once I figured out what I was doing wrong I realized how easy it is to modify this sensor.  It is a very sensitive sensor and animals will not sneak past it.  It is much more sensitive than the RS-PIR.  I have found them at Wal-Mart for $5.  Which is awesome.  The downside of this sensor is that the board must be mounted vertical and I found that it takes up more space in my small boxes.  I was able to get by by mounting the sensor underneath.  I should add I do not use timers on any of my cams.  I use them for mostly trail cams not on feeders.  If I were you I would make one of each and try them out.  I think you fill find that neither is harder than the other to modify.  I have found that modifying the camera is a harder job than either of the sensors.

davered1

Reaction score
BugleMIn,

I see no one answered your question about taping lense so I will. On my first cameras I taped the RS lens down to the middle 4 bars(on lens). If you are using the PF you can start there, It is a little slower than other cameras but I think it wll work fine.

BugleMIn

Reaction score
I got my pictures back today, the first roll off my cam.  Several showed nothing because I didn't tape the freshnal lense.  They were outside the view of camera.  One had just the deer's head, but then I had a doe stand around for several minutes, got about 6 pictures of her.

And one shot of a raccoon.

First picture was 2 hours after I left and most recent pic was 4 hours before I picked up the cam.  I just wanted to test it, I didn't hide it at all, I just chained it to a tree.

I put tape over both sides of the freshnal lense like one of you suggested.  I can tinker with that as I continue.

Any secrets to getting footage of turkeys?

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
BugleMIn,
Congrats! I did my first one using a RS PIR(49-425) with the 5V relay. I put it in a Radio Shack hobby box but had water getting into it. I didn't tape or block off the PIR lense, but had it the normal  size. I have got pictures of racoons,yotes,deer, and the farmer on his tractor. I would have to agree with ****** on getting Hamiltoe's board. It takes about an hour to do the first one but it works really good. He is super when it comes to helping you with any questions too. For my encloser for my next two, I used a water proof camping box from Gander Mountain, $14.99, with a UV lense for the camera. You only have to put four holes in the box then. Two switches, lense, and UV lense. I will be putting my first one in a Gander box also. Good luck!!!

Gator

Reaction score
I bought 4 at one time, when they had them last summer.  I haven't tried to find one lately.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Turkey love cracked corn.  Its leagle to bait in Ark as long as the bait is gone 14 days before season.  I just got a roll with a beautiful tom in full strut at 10' with two hens and a jake in the background.  I'll post it soon.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom