East coyotes bigger than western?

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
Song Dog and I were compairing the difference between size of western and eastern coyotes.
He is a successful predator hunter from California, I hunt the mountains of Tennessee. My local coyote population is no where near that in some western states. I personally wish it was but it seems eastern coyotes can get bigger than their western cousins.  Below is a site that has researched the subject, along with some good coyote reading. Anyone have any other ideas on why the difference in size?  

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm

Good hunting, :toast-yellow:  
ch 1    

songdog

Reaction score
Just some more data points...

The heaviest CA coyote I've shot was 36 lbs, the lightest was 14 lbs.  The average of the last 30 that I've shot was 22 lbs.

I think that we've got a lot more of them out here in the west though.  Smaller yes, but the numbers are much higher.  

Our bobcats are substantially smaller that their northern brethren too.

I've heard stories about how it's tied to the temp.  The colder the mean temp the larger the animals and vice versa.  That's why you get bigger whitetails in Alberta than in Texas (body weight not rack size).

A 45lb coyote in CA would be considered a wolf...

paulc

Reaction score
song dog.. i really enjoy reading you posts... now tell me.. do you really weigh all your coyotes??

songdog

Reaction score
Yup, probably 90% of them.  I got a little scale (fish scale I think) from Cabela's years ago.  I started keeping track of all this stuff a number of years ago while a friend in San Diego did the same thing.  We kept track of how many calls, the weather, how long it took something to come in, male/female, weight, ratio of coyotes to foxes to bobcats, etc.  We did it more out of fun than anything else but over a few years we both developed pretty detailed journals on calling.  It's fun to look back and see if your assumptions are actually based in anything.

Plus the fact that I majored in statistics made me do some crazy analysis like the ratio of male coyotes that responded in the first three minutes vs. females and what it was like after three minutes (almost 86% of the early responders are males in case you're wondering).

It's all in fun but I can tell you some stuff about coyote calling behavior that the biologists can't....  

paulc

Reaction score
songdog, all you had to say was that you were a statistics major.. that explains it all...

some day i would love to check out the data you have accumulated...
i am humbled.

songdog

Reaction score
I've heard of them getting bigger than 65lbs back east.  Hard to believe but I've heard multiple stories of 70-80 lb coyotes.  Sounds more like a wolf to me...

The 36lb coyote that I shot in SoCal seemed huge.  I can only imagine what a 70 lb coyote would feel like.

(Edited by songdog at 10:00 pm on Dec. 6, 2001)

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Iowa cototes are larger than California also.  Never gave much thought as to why.  Maybe like the fur the dog needs to be larger to combat the elements.  Also in a state where game is more available to 2 legged hunters, it's also probably better four those with 4.

Advertisement

Top Bottom