East Texas

SDHNTR

Reaction score
A question for all you Texans.  I finally got the green light to hunt my girlfriend's family land near Athens, TX.  I'd like to hunt hogs and deer as I know both are plentiful on the property.  What are the license requirements for a non resident.  I know it is over the counter but how much?  Can I get one at a local sporting goods store?  Can I shoot a doe?  I'd appreciate any info.  Thanks.

Gus

Reaction score
Non-resident General Hunting ($250)-- Valid to hunt any legal bird or animal except alligators.

Athens is in Henderson County and that is a East Zone 1-buck county.  Season is Nov. 2 to Jan. 5 (antlerless by permit only).

No closed season on hogs.

You could get more information by calling 800-792-1112 or looking at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us

Hope this helps you some.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
One thing I couldn't find on the state site is how you get the antlerless permits.  Any suggestions on that?  Thanks.

JimYates

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the land owner get's them.  I know that's how it used to work.

shadow

Reaction score
I know the lease that I'm on in Red River county, pre rifle season there are only regular state doe tags used then I normally get Permits that have to accompany the state tag about a week before rifle season starts.  The Permits are given to the land owner by the local game warden or is mailed to the land owner from the state.  Typically I fill out a form stating how many deer and types, sex etc... at the end of the previous season.  Then through out the year as the game warden do his population count etc...you get permits based on that.  I don't know how the game warden would do it if the land has never been hunted before.  Either way  if you have the land owner call the local game warden he can answer all your questions and you get it from the person who KNOWS best.

Top Bottom