Eastern Oregon

hoytrdye

Reaction score
would anyone know what kinda rain fall the region had this winter - would it be considered a wet or dry winter or even average

suavegato

Reaction score
In North Eastern Oregon (john Day area) there was more snow at the ranch this year than any in recent memory... so for that area, it was VERY wet & cold!

hoytrdye

Reaction score
so do you think all that snow has hurt the elk in that area?

suavegato

Reaction score
I don't think so... there are still available low lands that they can move into when need be and the elk handle the snow pretty well anyway. I'm just hoping that it keeps the grass green longer this year... the White tail move off of the property as soon as the grass goes brown, typically a few weeks to a month BEFORE the opening of the deer season! Maybe we'll get lucky this year?

fishnhunt

Reaction score
It has been a pretty average year in terms of rainfall in eastern Oregon this year. But the difference was how cold it was….Snow in the valleys that typically melts off between storms didn’t melt this year. But according to ODFW that didn’t impact either deer or elk in eastern Oregon. The other thing is we have had a cold spring combined with the cold winter so the snow is melting off slowly and lots of places are still inaccessible. This has allowed for more water to soak into the ground and be held for later in the summer and allowed springs that were not running last year to run this year. I am hoping for a good chuckar hatch this spring……And good big game hunting….

Latest Posts

Top Bottom