Educator Sent Home for Dyeing Hair Green

gwhunter69

Reaction score

Educator Sent Home for Dyeing Hair Green

Lower Richland High (WLTX) -- A 9th-Grade Mentor who works at Lower Richland High School was sent home Monday morning, because he says the school didn't like the color he dyed his hair.

Michael Rice says Lower Richland High School's principal called the mentor into his office shortly after the first block of the day ended.

LINK

Dingo Dog

Reaction score
They can bash on Christians and push debunked theories about evolution and that's OK, just don't come to school with green hair. What's the problem?

Tank

Reaction score
It was done for St. Patrick's Day...he didn't do anything wrong....they should've left him alone on that one. JMHO

pbrdog

Reaction score
There were actually schools here in San Diego that had the green theme. Saw alot of kids walking home yesterday after school with green hair.

easymoney

Reaction score
Sounds as if too many administrators have too much time on their hands, maybe they should all get a permanent timeout?

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Schools with a "green Theme" ? Those wouldn't be some of those schools that frown on the students wearing red, white and blue (or the US flag), would they ?

Common Sense

Reaction score
I went to school with green hair once. They didn't send me home, they just laughed at me.

mitchshrader

Reaction score
nobody ever heard of 'black irish'?

they just ain't got a sensahuma.

i'ma bet there's a murphy or an o'reilly in that administration, what you want to bet? somebody got their panties in a twist..

chuckslayer

Reaction score
Tmoniz;

Lighten up ? I didn't do any accusing..please note, that was a question ...

troll

Reaction score
At our district, we'd send a kid home with green hair, because it interfere's with the educational process. Why should a teacher be treated any different?

Orygun

Reaction score
If he violated a dress code then he was dealt with appropriately. Must be nice to live in a town where a school's biggest problem is a teacher with green hair.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (troll @ Mar 19 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At our district, we'd send a kid home with green hair, because it interfere's with the educational process. Why should a teacher be treated any different?[/b]

Please explain how green hair interrupts the educational process? Not any different that te dude with pierced eyelids I'd say

ML

chuckslayer

Reaction score
And neither one AIDS the educational process ! Of course, green hair, pierced noses, ears chins etc..are much more a reflection upon the parent than upon the child.

Thoughts such as...no control, low standards, inmate is running the asylum, the kid is boss, etc. go through folks minds,
can't stop that !

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Kids are kids these days.
At least out here.
Should we take self expression and throw it out the door?
That teacher did nothing wrong.
Unless he was in Rural New York.

troll

Reaction score
It creates a distraction. Then, there is the professionalism thing. Teachers want to be treated with respect as professionals when it comes to contract negotiations and raises, but it doesn't translate into their actions.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
Sorry Troll I can't buy into any of that except the professionalism part. If they re going to send home a mentor for green hair anyone that has colorered their hair or in some way " distracts from the education process" should be sent home. Students included.
Learning begins with the student not someones hair color.

ML

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (troll @ Mar 19 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It creates a distraction. Then, there is the professionalism thing. Teachers want to be treated with respect as professionals when it comes to contract negotiations and raises, but it doesn't translate into their actions.[/b]

I reckon we ain't professionals out here. The day I went with green hair, my principal wore a dress, long blond wig, hangey down earrings, bright red lip stick, red rouge, and high heels. (He's one of my old hunting buddies and is older, fatter, and more conservative than me!) He usually looked like this guy:

troll

Reaction score
CS, I tought for 5 years and have been in admin for 6. With my short years in education, I've found most teachers are professional, but it is those few that want to make some kind of point by going against policy. The example you gave was obviously a planned event in which all teachers participated.
If my wife showed up to her work (accountant) with green hair, they'd fire her on the spot.

Top Bottom