Effects of coonhunters trespassing

Cdad

Reaction score
Last night just before bed, I had a coon hunterand his gogs in the woods I bowhunt. I am concerned about the effects this will have on the deer/ my prime hunting spot!! Opening day is T -37 days and a wake-up, just like all the other "VIOLATORS" he swears the dogs and or his human scent won't bother the deer one bit. I say BOLOGNA!!!!  Need some help here, what do you guys think??

woodseye

Reaction score
Studies have shown the does return to the area within a day or two and resume life. Bucks will leave an area if you scout it to hard or use game cams to much. A bucks home area is much larger than a does so they can move to another area and relocate their core area. Does tend to stay in a relatively small area and don't like to leave this spot. I would think that done too much and the bucks will be edgey and hard to see even if they don't leave the area altogether which is what I think the larger more mature animals will do.Up here where they coon hunt the deer are very nervous and hard to hunt.

woods

Cdad

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming what I thought woodseye. I tell you what, sometimes I think having a good spot to hunt is more of a curse than a blessing, between the shoot anything go anywhere slob deer hunters (not all, but one bad apple can spoil the barrel) and the trespassers, it's harder to protect my woods than my kids!!!!!!!!! No wonder it's so hard for a guy to find a good spot, we don't let anyone hunt our land except family. Man the stories I could tell you.... I threw off 19- yes 19 poachers/trespassers, in the first three days of shotgun season last year alone!!!!!!!!!!:surprised-purple::mad-red::mad-fumin-red:

Tominator

Reaction score
CDAD, the SCDNR did a study on this a few years back and if I can find a copy of it, I'll get it to you. Basically the results were that coon hunting had little effect on the resident population of whitetails. The deer they had collared did not leave the area. Deer sightings per hunter were increased the day after the coon hunting took place. I'll try to look it up for you.
Tominator

bradj

Reaction score
I read that article as well, but I don't know where if I had to guess though I would say it was in deer and deer hunting magazine

SUPER R

Reaction score
 CDAD,  I've also had trouble with coonhunters.  I'm not saying all coonhunters are bad,
but like you said " one bad apple ".  I can't help but think when I hear dogs running (Barking) in the woods during deer season that their spooking them!
 The bottom line is, if they don't have permission to hunt on your land then their tresspassing.

james marquess

Reaction score
I don't know much about coon dogs and their effect... but... one of the the ranches next
to my deer lease (I really dont know witch one ) has let remote controled dogs go on opening day for the last 2 years to chase off pigs. I have never seen them except on opening morning!!! WE think the guy is going to have a few less dogs if thet are out this year and I think I might keep the collars.
It seems to set back the deer for weeks.

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
Cdad,

My best friend has the same problem!  Opening week of deer season in Michigan sucks!  My friend owns 160 Acres in Ann Arbor and they manage it for trophies!  They only let the arrow fly if its over 130!  So durring the first week of shotgun season all they do is patrol the property!  Which sucks!  But they usually wack two over 130 durring bow season!  I guess its the price you pay!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom