El Centro Doves

SoCalTed

Reaction score
** just a reminder that this post turned into a Dove Opener Dinner in El Centro. Check the JHP Events Forum (aug 31 @ 8pm - Golden Corral Buffet) **

Hi all:  I've posted a few times, but never opened a topic.  So here it goes..As usual I will be heading down to El Centro for the opener.  This time I'll have both my kids with me who passed their Hunter Saftey Courses a couple weekends back. Good stuff, since my best friend moved to North Carolina and now I'll have two hunting partners (who might actually listen to me All of us who've hunted the El Centro areas have seen many of the open areas get posted.  I'm down to one spot, but am willing to share if anyone else has some info.  I just want to make sure I've got at least one back-up spot in case this one is posted.  I'll be staying at the Ramada on Ocotillo.  If anyone is interested in sharing info, or just getting a cup of coffee at the 7-11 opening morning, let me know.  I also propose we "flag" our car antennas so you know who is a friendly and approachable if you want to drive by and chat.  Any takers?

Newby

Reaction score
Hey So Cal Ted, congrats on your kids achievement, I unfortunately don't know much about where the birds are, but I'am excited for you & your kids.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Myself, Fullsack, Foulshot and Droopy will be out in El Centro from Saturday sometime till Monday afternoon more then likely. We will also have some first time hunters with us also. I be driving a gray Ford Ranger 4x4 extracab with a green JHP sicker in the back window, Foulshot will be in a ford F250 with the browning shell on it and a JHP sticker also and  Droopy if he has his truck will be in a white ford F250 with a camper on it just look for the house on wheels. We more then likely will be hunting one of the fields that Leon planted this year up north. If you what to get together let me know will setup a time. WBH

SoCalTed

Reaction score
We'll be in a gold Olds Silhouette (no minivan jokes!)  Unfortunately, I don't have a JHP sticker.  I'll be heading down Friday night, with recon on Sat. and stay thru Mon earlier afternoon. I usually hunt out near the Sugar Factory.  I hear of guys that hunt near the mexico border, but just can't figure where they're parking and sitting.  If you like, we can meet on Sat PM sometime for a snack/dinner and compare notes that I take during the day.  Maybe we can drum up some JHP'rs for Saturday night dinner?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
SoCalTed,

Welcome to the forum. It's a great site. The best I have seen on the web.
Their is someone on the site who is from the El Centro area who might be able to help you out.

foulshot

Reaction score
SoCalTed, like Qbn says, best spot on the web, happy to have you here.  I haven't seen anything about it yet but, there is usually a carne asada bbq at the RioBend RV park on Drew Rd, the night before opener. $10 if I remember right, that might be a good place for everyone to meet that is going to be in the valley.
What does everyone else think about that?

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Saturday Dinner sound good. I like Foulshot thinking it may be the best thing going.
WBH

dbeerman2000

Reaction score
El Centro sounds like fun, but I am going to stay close to home here in 29 palms!  I got a couple places in case one or the other is full.  Let me know if any of you are going to be out this way.

SoCalTed

Reaction score
I sent an email to the RV park to see if they are having a BBQ and if it is open to the public.  I have not received a response from them yet.  I may actually make a phone call and attempt to speak with a live person if I don't hear anything.  Any other suggestions for a Sat Dinner - or is the best bet?  Think we should move the Sat dinner over to the JHP Events forum to get a little better publicity?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I finally was able to talk to someone at Rio Bend and they said that they are NOT having a BBQ this year.  Let me do a little brainstorming and see what I can think of instead . . .

SoCalTed

Reaction score
Ditto - I just got a call back from them and they said no BBQ this year.  I know there is a buffet place that we had a dinner at last year.  Lots of hunters there and the place was very accommodating.  It is sort of like a Home Town buffet.  The only buffet I can find on Yahoo Yellow Pages in El Centro is the "Four Seasons Buffet and Grill" I'm thinking that's the place.

You pay as you go in, so  no worries about splitting tabs and they have plenty of seating and a variety of food. I am going to open this discussion over in the JHP Events to get a bit more publicity...

Remshot

Reaction score
The Four Seasons Buffet has been knocked down and a Rite Aid is just about finished where it used to be.The Broken Spoke may have a breakfast but I haven't heard of any dinners for hunters.It's to late to check right now so I'll check around tomorrow.

5standjake

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will also be heading to el centro with some buddys I would really like to meet some of you guys if its possible.I will be in el centro saturday early in the morning scouting out some traditional areas i hunt east of holtville.What i tend to look for when it comes to dove hunting are milo and melon fields they are bye far the best fields to hunt if you can locate them.I will be in el centro till monday I will be driving a 2002 white toyota tundra with no plates.If anyone wants to hookup let me know.Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek.

foulshot

Reaction score
5stand, Welcome to Jesses!  Great group you'll find here.  Looks like we might have a pretty good Sat. night get together.  Where are you staying at?  FullSack, Myself and a few others will be staying at Barbara Worth.  We'll probably be out midday on Saturday.  Also staying through Monday.
I know what you mean about the melon and milo.  There doesn't seem to be anything better than a freshly tilled melon field.  From what I've heard there are just as many whitewing as last year.  Can't wait.

5standjake

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be staying in my uncles motorhome what we usually do is scout out the areas in my truck and when we find a good field thats where we camp.How about we all meet up somewhere for dinner sat night and get to know eachother that way we can share info on the best areas to hunt i always say for doves the more the better as long as you dont shoot at the low flyers.Later 5standjake also known as jake the lucky greek.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Welcome Jake to one of the best spots on the net.
You’re more then welcome to come join us for dinner and hunting the next day check the Event forum for the dinner Saturday night.
I’m going out Saturday to do some scouting so will let every one know what I see on the field that DWU planted any other spot I come up with maybe.
WBH

Remshot

Reaction score
Welcome Jake,this by far the best site on the web for the SoCal hunter in particular.This site has the best bunch of guys and gals anywhere ! :7-bouncin:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom