electronic caller

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Hey guys, decided to build my own caller after pricing the commercial models.
Parts:
Sony Walkman auto-reverse [$22 Ebay]
8watt 8ohm PA speaker [ I already had ]
1212 12v battery, you camera guys know the one
Hobbytron amplifier kit #ck153 -$15
Mics. Radio Shack parts -$15

The sound of this system is great, plenty of volume and you dont have to flip tapes.
Used about three  hours on crows and the battery was still strong. Now if I can figure out how to operate via TV remote I'll be set.
 Oh yea, it will also work with a portable CD PLAYER.

coyote

Reaction score
Once again your on the cutting edge EE.  For those who Don't know it.... I believe it was EE who introdruced the orginal thread on homebrew cams and shared his findings.  Thanx EE....yoteee'

gizz

Reaction score
That's a professional looking unit. Must be a lotta fun using something like that to track down the varmits, especially since you built it yourself. Thanks for sharing it.
........If that is true about the homebrew cam thread, THANKS! I almost purchased a commercial unit. Not that it would've been bad, just that I would've only had 1!

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
What can I say guys, Poor folks got Poor ways.
I also found out you can plug the Walkman into the amplifier and then hook the amplifier to the input of your home cassette recorder and make copies of your tapes. Instant backup copies.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Eagle Eye

I wondered who came up with the Movement Camera Idea,  Thanx a Million.....

How did you find out the Owl PF had an electronic push button switch anyway?

Thanks again,  Tinhorn

D

DAVIDO

Hello eagle eye,I have been using a very similar setup for the past few months my problem is I feel I need more of an amplifier to boost the sound. the walkman alone does a good job but varmits seldom wear headphones. I would like more info plz on your hobbytron amplifier kit #ck153. thanks

D

DAVIDO

other tips I will share are:
1.a excellant speakers and extra wiring can be ordered from    phantom calls web sites.
2. their are several digital sounds on the internet that can be recorded with a micrphone and cassette recorder.

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
DAVIDO, go to http://www.hobbytron.com and check out the amplifier kits. The one I used was kit #ck153, which is a 7watt mono amp. Took me about 20 minutes to assemble. Mounted it in a radio shack project box.
This kit has a volume control, a lot of the ones I looked at didnt. However my kit dosent look exactly like the one pictured.

EE........

sven

Reaction score
I built one from some instructions I found on http://www.predatormastersforums.com.  It consists of a Radioshack 4" Powerhorn speaker (#4001440), Radioshack Mini Amp (#277-1008), the tape/cd/mp3 player of your choice and the necessary speaker wire and patch cords, you can make an inexpensive caller pretty easily.

A lot of guys over there are using an Azden wireless mic system instead of speaker wire.  The receiver is plugged into the speaker/amp end, and the transmitter is plugged into the player.  This gives you a pretty compact unit with remote operation.  The wireless part is a little pricey, but still a lot less than a commerical unit.

(Edited by sven at 7:46 pm on April 17, 2002)

deerone

Reaction score
hey sven the link did not work would like to get to the sit and ake a look see. thanks for the reply.

sven

Reaction score
Sorry about the typo here is the correct address:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com

Goto to the forum page.  There's one for electronic calls.  Do a search for "radioshack caller".  There are quite a few posts about it.

Once you have all the components, it takes very little time to get it up and running.

gizz

Reaction score
I built one of these as well and then modified it to use a remote control unit. I got all the ideas and instructions from http://www.predatormastersforums.com
I can plug in any type of player(MP3, CD, Tape). Here is a pic of my unit without paint.
The volume is OK but the Radio Shack mini amp put out alot  of static noise so I'd like to work on it some more and replace the amp with a better one. If you want to build one do what sven suggested and you'll find alll the info you need.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Well i went to RS and got the stuff i need to build one of these callers,Gizz i went and looked at the Transmitter/Reciever,like you have on yours so i could go wireless but they are fairly high,Wha6t is your range on that unit?
 I was at the pawn shop today and found a wireless Transmitter/Reciever used for guitarists who play on stage with out chords getting in the way,The range on these units are pretty good i believe,can pick it up for $100.00,going to wait awhile on that i think,at least till i can find out the range for sure.

gizz

Reaction score
Here is the link to the wireless mic I used.
http://www.nadywireless.com/prod_pages/dkw1pg.html

It seems to be good out to a couple hundred feet. I tested it by putting the receiver/spkr on one side of my house then going to the other side with the player/xmitter and it worked fine thru the house. The one that the others on the forum recommend is of better construction i believe and it is setup to run on a 9v battery. The one i use requires 12V and I bought a little adapter to run it from a 12V battery(PS1212) same as i use on a lot of my homebrew cams. I've had to repair the jack on the xmitter(where the player plugs in) several times because of lightweight construction. I also took apart the receiver plastic housing to remove the "guts" of the receiver so i could put them in the small 4x4x4 pvc box.

I purchased the wireless Nady stuff from http://www.djtronix.com but i just checked and they no longer list the products. I paid about $70 total for the wireless stuff and around another $35 for the other Radio Shack stuff.

Do some searching for wireless lavalier systems and see what you can come up with. There are a lot of different suppliers for this kind of stuff.

I enjoyed making mine and i've used it for crow hunting so far. It works good although if i was seriously into varmint hunting i would probably consider a professionally built unit cause I've had hunt ruining experiences with the homemade one. If you move the xmitter certain ways while being used you get a very unpleasant "static sound" on the speaker that I believe a smart coyote/fox would pick up in a hurry. You can learn to minimize the problems though and building one is rewarding. I've have ideas on improving mine and will probably work on it later on when I get some more time.

Here is a picture showing the inside of the receiver portion:
http://images.snapfish.com/333%3C5%3C63232...9%3A3639nu0mrj"</a> border="0">

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Well I decided to just go with Speaker wire so i could keep it cheap,Got a CD walkman give to me today so I brang it home and finished wiring things together and it is LOUD!! and i think the CD player is better,it dont have any hiss at all,or maybe its that im useing speaker wire,Either way i cant wait to try it out on some Yotes soon.Gives me something to hunt in the off seasons.
 I have less than $30.00 in an electronic caller now,I have a guy burning me some CD's of distress calls,that will get me by till i can get out to Bass Pro and pick up some other CD's

gizz

Reaction score
I think you'll be much happier with the "wired" speaker as far as sound goes. I just wanted a unit I could put 50 yards away from me and keep the attention away from me when hunting. To describe the sound i get in my wireless speaker setup, it is like the sound you hear when you get too far away from the radio station in your car - "static".
Have fun with your caller.
gizz

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
i have a FOXPRO  caller in selling in the "Tradin Post" section. great caller and works very well but bear season is nearly here i i need some cash.

cc

Top Bottom