Elk and Muley Jerky

Captjgray

Reaction score
So my wife bought me a dehydrator for Christmas and I figured Id see how it worked...

Started with a partially frozen roast of each and sliced thin
placed the meat in a zip top bag and added the following
1/3 C worchestershire
1/3 C soy
1/3 C teriyaki
1/3 C pear and red pepper jam
1/3 C sweet asian chili sauce
1 tsp Mortons Tender quick

marinated for 24 hours

I did 1/4 hot chili flake
1/4 black pepper
1/4 just the marinade
and 1/4 with just soy, worchestershire and tenderquick

they all came out amazing

I will never buy jerky again...

rvrrat

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I've got a Cabela's dehydrator and still haven't made jerky with it yet. Now that I've added a cow elk to what's left of my bull from last year your post is definitely motivating me to make a bunch!

k_rad

Reaction score
how long do you dehydrate them? Can you smoke it first?

bughalli

Reaction score
Love making jerkey and so much cheaper. The length of time depends on the temp setting of the dehydrator, amount of meat in the dehydrator and thickness of cuts. Your seasoning/marinade might have a slight impact as well. I.e. If you like a sweeter jerky the sugar seems to take a little longer vs saltier ones. I set mine at 135 degrees, fill it with 5 trays of meat, cut 1/8-1/4 thick, usually run it on a timer for 4.5 hrs over night. Never tried pre-smoking, but no reason you couldn't. Although I would probably do the whole thing in the smoker bs move to a dehydrator. But don't smoke it the whole time because that's too much. Over-smoking can almost give it a bitter taster. Rather than using a smoker just try adding a little Liquid Smoke to the marinade. That stuff is powerful.

Captjgray

Reaction score
Liquid smoke is the way to go, I learned recently that the jersey from Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop is not smoked...Nor is it made by them. I was a bit bummed when I learned this.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom