Elk callin seminar with Jimmy Rizzo from Primos

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Talked to Jimmy Rizzo today from Primos and he wanted to see if there is any interest in a calling seminar put on by him. Class would be 4 hours and run A-Z on calling elk. What calls to use, how to maintain them, how they work. Tube calls, mouth calls, bugle tubes, etc. $125 for the class. Early Aug for a time frame.

Any interest?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'd be interested but $125 is a little steep IMHO. Unless it is for the entire class and not for each.

Lurediver

Banned
Reaction score
SacfireJT is the best elk caller I know, he educated me on all the proper calling techniques.

sancho

Reaction score
i went to a ralph ramos thing at a sportsman warehouse once. he spent alot of time with us for nothing. i think he is a PSE, and primos guy. nice guy.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Jesse, what would this seminar include? Will it be small and will there be some personal instruction? Any calls included? What more is included over the average trade show (SCI, RMEF, etc) type seminar?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
To answer some of the questions here and on the Predator forum.

Youth hunters 16 and under get in for $50. 2 free mouth calls will be given to the attendees. You need to bring your own elk calls though no matter what brand so you can learn how to use them, how to tune and maintain them etc. Jimmy said the seminar will cover A-Z on elk calling and elk calls. We'll also do a give away for one slot like we did on the Taylor Talkers waterfowl seminar we had.

I mentioned Jimmy was on the Primos Pro Staff, he was also a staffer for Quaker Boys. He's been doing the pro staff gig for about 17 years.

Jimmy guides the Del Norte elk hunts here in NE CA and at FHL. He's guided and successfully killed large branch antler Rocky Mtn, Tule and Roosevelt bull elk here in CA. He recently guided Dan Fox's Del Norte
bull elk hunts here in CA.

So why can't you get this info from a $19 DVD and a call. Well you're, um, still out there on your own with maybe a few years experience at best trying to kill something. What would you pay to have 30 or 40 years years of exerience in your pocket when that bull elk or huge tom hangs up? We spend thousands on bows, rifles, binos, clothing, travel and then the one thing that will bring that animal in closer we balk at because it's $125?

For example, this spring I listened to a guide and some hunters say the toms were not responding and it was a spot and stalk game. I was puzzled as I looked at the calls they had and listened to their tales from their recent hunts I realized they were not even using 1/2 the turkey calls or calling methods available to them. The calling they were doing was a simple yelp or cutt that the toms and hens were not comin to. Not one of them had a gobble tube or wingbone yelper, two of the best calls to have in the spring. Not one of them even knew what a ground cackle or whine was, or how to use them. No one mentioned doing a fly down sequence or sitting still and just crunching leaves. This is all covered in the more in depth seminars, the stuff you get at the free seminars and booths is not even close.

I've been hunting turkeys over 40 years and I still pick up ideas from folks like Jimmy who spend a lot of time in the field callin. Is a calling seminar worth $125? That depends on your pocketbook and who the person is giving the seminar. There are a handful of turkey callers I would pay to have their insight on callin turkeys. Lovett Williams, Ben Lee when he was alive, etc. I didn't really learn how to call turkeys from my Dad or other callers, I learned by sitting in the woods many days and just watching and listening to how turkeys interacted. Most of us don't have days on end to spend in the field hoping to hear elk talking or turkeys calling. That's where these crash courses with someone who does spend a lot of time in the field calling come in.

riplake

Reaction score
Jesse,

What town would thid be in, I see your tag is from SoCal so I am assuming somewhere in the LA basin? I am interested, getting tuned up for my first archery elk hunt in Colorado in September!

Thanks

scotty828

Reaction score
Jesse,
I too am very interested in attending the class. Im in central california so, north or south is goiong to be 3-4 hours either way. Let us know what city and the next step to reserve our seats.

thanks

Killzone

Reaction score
ha @ $125 any calls you get are not free, that sounds steep with travel to pay for too. hes from Primos and they are charging money??

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
ha @ $125 any calls you get are not free, that sounds steep with travel to pay for too. hes from Primos and they are charging money??[/b]
Please refer to my above post, it's all explained there. Yes, it costs money for these seminars. Cameron Hanes also charges for his seminars. It's a common practice to charge for these more in depth calling seminars. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If you want free then hit the 15 min -1/2 hour deals at the shows with 30 other guys.

======================================================

I'll see if Jimmy wants to do a NoCal seminar. Right now no location has been chosen for Socal. Once he sets the location and date I'll post it up.

sancho

Reaction score
i would like to do it, if it isnt too far away. no mention of location yet, so i will wait.

i think it is a good idea. with NM and other tags so difficult to draw, i wouldnt want to waste ANY effort by not know how to call perfectly.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom