Elk Hide

dustin ray

Reaction score
finally getting last years Elk hide on the wall its kind of work in processes i was thinking of using strips of leather to to stretch it out
View attachment 87099

dustin ray

Reaction score
Ya at first the holes where bugging me but now there kinda growing on me

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Makes a hide look like rodent food but whatever. I had my bison robes all sewn up...looked much better afterwards IMHO.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
You can't just sew up some holes. Some need to be patched in. Usually they cut them to a football shape, find a patch with the right color hair, length hair, and sew it in with the hair going in the correct direction. Unless you know what your doing, it's something you should let the taxidermist do.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Ok, so how do you go about making the hide able to be mounted flat against the wall like that? I was kind of wanting to do something like that here with my first deer hide.

Right now it's at the point where it's been tanned. But it's stiff and still needs to be re-wetted or whatever and stretched to turn white... and then the neatsfoot oil and the flesh side rubbed over something to "break the hide" so it will be soft and pliable.

So after I finally get around to doing all that stuff... how do people mount furs flat on a wall like that? How do you make 'em so flat? Do you attach them to something that's flat underneath of it?

BTW... that Elk hide is just soo awesome and huge!

-G

Last edited:

dustin ray

Reaction score
Thanks Gdog
I just used tacks to hang it this hide is not stiff at all and I'm not sure how the tanner did it. my first plan was to sew the holes in the hide and cut a sheet of plywood the shape i wanted and pull it over it and secure it with tacks all and all I'm vary happy with it and i have this years elk getting done now should have it back soon.
Oh and and at least mine is not in a box out in the garage Bruce :) :)

Top Bottom