elk near durago

Cahunter

Reaction score
Anyone ever hunted up that way. I have a friend thats heading out there this year with some guys he knows and they have been pretty successful. I just wanted to hear some other opinions bewfore I go. Also can you use quads to pack out elk?

Or/Elkster

Reaction score
As far as i know you can in Oregon but you have to read the regs on off road use and the fire hazard with the spark resistors and such

YORT40

Reaction score
I hunted the Durango area 3 steaight years. (98, 99, 00). Weather is a huge part of the hunt in that area. The first year, we were in t-shirts trying to get to the highest spot possible, never saw one animal. Even after getting permission to hunt a private ranch which was supposed to be one of the best in the area. Nothing. The following year was a little colder and we filled 1 tag as the elk were still high, but visible. After we left, some friends of mine showed up for the final 3 days of the hunt. They arrived in a snow storm, the following day, elk were walking down through their camp. All four filled thier tags with-in hours. The last year was very cold, but no snow. We got on the elk, but never found a bull a shoot.

You can use a quad on the dirt roads, but the areas I hunted such as Missionary Ridge makes it real hard to ride anything but a horse.

easymoney

Reaction score
cahunter,
The area around Durango had several fires this past year and that could be a good thing.
The popularity of this area has made it nessecary to get away from all roads if possible. Quads are allowed on forest roads only. The best spots are well known and are very difficult to hunt unless you are in good shape, pack in and hope for bad weather to move the elk around. In the heat they will not leave the black timber or thick nasty oak brush. The areas around Missionary Ridge, Vajacito Res and the Purgatory Ski area are not secrets but do hold good bulls. Good luck, because as we all know just seeing them is no guarentee of taking a bull ...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom