elph LT

homer

Reaction score
I would like to build a mini cam using a elph LT but don't know if the picture qualitiy of the elph would make it worth building? Also can an RS sensor be used with this camera?  Thanks Homer

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Himoer,
Search this forum for "elph LT" or "elphlt" or similar phrases.  This cam has been gone over before.  I use it in my "micro" cam.  Pic quality is not as good as 35mm - but its OK.

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have four made from the Elph LT and I love them.

Now that Wal-mart has the digital film processor here where I live the pictures come out way better than before.  I get the date on the front and the time and date on the back so no missed time and date due to lighting or light colored grass in the picture.

They are small and easy to wire into.  I haven't read any of the posts here on Jesse's site about them but I do like mine.  The flash is not as strong as the PF but it gets the job done.

Unless these guys figured out a different way you have to use a DPDT relay so the focus and the shutter are not connected at the same time.  IF you connect them together at the same time the battery will drain quickly.  This activates the focus circuit I believe or the red eye and drains the battery.  You have to isolate them and pull them in together which is easy to do by using the different relay or two optos.

(Edited by Brian at 9:05 am on April 16, 2002)

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Brian, is this a digital camera or an APS.  I made a post last night regarding panoramic pics.  I had someone ask me to build them a cam with the APS film and panoramic capability.  If this is the camera please post any mods that you might have.  Thanks.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Simplearkansan,

This is an APS camera.

I don't have any modifications made up for this camera.  I did these units about three or four years ago.  I would have to take one apart again to make a document on the camera.  Arch may have one on file but I don't right now and it will be awhile before I get time to make one.  If you are not in a hurry I will try to get something together.

The way Arch talked there might be something on this site about it already.  I don't know.  It seems straight forward to my recollection.  The only trick was that the screw in the center of the latch release for the APS film was reverse threaded.  So to loosen it you have to think like you are tightening it.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Like Brian, I made this cam a few years back when the model first came out.  I actually almost never use it - even though it is a very nice micro trail-cam - because processing for the APS film was breakin' my meager trail-cam "allowance" :(

You'll find some basic info on the forum, but no specifics about modification.  As Brian mentioned, it's an easy cam to modify.
>>>>
On the panoramic function - if used in a trail-cam application, the animals in the pics might not be all that clear.  It's intended for large landscape shots and such.  I've never tried it though - it might work OK.
>>>>
I'll toss any info I have about this cam on my site and repost to this thread.

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Yep.

Seems like Arch is right on the panoramic view.

There is a C,H, and P on the selector switch best I remember.

I use the H for normal shots and the quality is good.

The C and P are not that good.  P stands for Panoramic and I am not sure what the C stands for.

If I can dig up anything I will let you know.

homer

Reaction score
I thank you also. Can you tell me if I can use a JoeD timer and a RS sensor with this camera? I don't have the camera yet but I'm hoping to get one soon. I'm sure I'll have more question later. Thanks again Homer

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi homer, SA,
I uploaded the few pics I had of the elph mods.  It ain't much, but should give you something to start from.
I didn't write any useful notes when I modified the cam, so there's just the pics - not much text.

http://archilochus.netfirms.com/elphlt.html
Note the new URL.  I'm moving the site because of Yahoo's new FTP restrictions.

<<<EDIT>>>>
Oh yeah - cam should work fine with the RS sensor and Brians timer.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 5:08 am on April 18, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Arch,

Went to your sight and looked at your Elph Lt mods. WOW.

Excellent Work!

Also,  I have the newer model cameras and they do not go to sleep to the point that you can tell it.  The flash is almost instant.

homer

Reaction score
Arch, That should help me out alot. Thanks. Do you recall where you got that connector thats on the side of your camera at, or a part #? That looks like a nice set up.                                                                                                                 Brian, Do you mean that the new camera dos'nt need a refresh pulse? Also can you tell me what DPDT relay you used with your camera?                                                                                                                  Thank you both vary much . Homer

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Brian or Arch, could you send me pic of the Elph cam that doesn't need a refresh?  I found several on Ebay and I don't know which model I should purchase.  Some of them have a pop up flash and others don't.  If you see the right one, please send me a link.  Thanks again.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Jumping Micro-cams, Arch man.   That little dude is tiny .   Nice setup.

Jameco has the little Pin connectors.  Dont forget the Crimp tool and pins.  You can get the pins in both male and female

connector

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Homer,

ArkansasElkHunter is right on with the connectors.  Arch may have got his somewhere else but they are the same style.

My Elph Lt's do not need a refresh pulse.  They are not that old so I don't really know how to tell one from the other as far as which one would not need the refresh and which one would.  Until Arch mentioned the need for one on his I thought that none of them needed it.:confused-yellow:

The DPDT relay I use for this camera was from Jameco but they quit carrying that particular one.  Any DPDT relay would work.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi guys,
The connector is your basic .1" pin spacing header connector.  If you've ever poked around inside your computer you've no doubt seen a bunch of 'em.  An example from Mouser < http://www.mouser.com > is part# 571-87499.  Fit it with the appropriate male/female pins.  You could use a 4 position connector too.  I used the 5 pin job cause that's what I salvaged out of a dead piece of old computer equipment.  Yeah - my cam "allowance" is so tight I'll even root around in old junk to save 75 cents!  :)

>>>>
On the refresh that my cam needs.  Unlike the OwlPF, my ElphLT has no problem with the flash discharging.  The reason I needed a refresh is because the cam would power-down after something like 4 hours of sitting idle - can't remember the exact time off-hand.
I have a feeling that the newer models (which evidently don't have a power-down), look exactly the same as the early models.
I have a similar situation with an older black Owl model with the slide switch & rubber buttons on the front.  It will power-down and the ONLY way to wake it up is to slide the switch to "off" and back to "on".  The later production models of this same cam do not have that "feature".

I don't know if it will help for anything - but the serial # on my cam is: 2105164

BTW - the "C" stands for "classic" - in the "C" mode, the cam will produce a picture with the same height / width ratio as a typical 35mm camera.

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom