Email Response from Jack Bransford

d trees

Reaction score
Hi All:

Thanks much for your comments and related interest in our efforts to once again have waterfowl hunting in the South Bay area.  The S.D. Union-Tribune article and the broadcasting of interviews on television by Channels 8 and 39 this week created more attention concerning this issue than we had expected.  However, the anti's, greenie's, and many members of the 'misinformed public' are now working very hard to make certain we are not successful.  In fact, for the most part, these folks are against any consumptive use of wildlife.  And, in particular, they focus on eliminating the use and availability of firearms in our society.

What makes this matter particularly problematic and somewhat perplexing is that -- although these people are misguided.... they are also very dedicated, well organized and willing to spend both their time and $$$$ to achieve their desired end result.  While on the other hand, those that stand to lose the basic right of gun ownership and/or the opportunity to recreate in connection with hunting, fishing, and other outdoor related activities just don't seem to have the same level of commitment.  They/We just don't seem to realize the inevitable consequence of not being, at least equally dedicated and organized to the extent that is necessary to preserve our traditional activities related to fishing, hunting, and the shooting sports, etc. wherever and whenever they are threatened.

I'm associated with the San Diego County Wildlife Federation(SDCWF) which is a nonprofit organization (operating primarily within San Diego county) that is beginning to show a great deal of potential for representing and furthering the interests of the outdoor sportsmen and women in the San Diego area.  If you have not already done so, you can visit our website at  http://www.sdcwf.org/sdcwf/default.asp to learn more about the goals of our organization.  Our membership for 2001 consisted of 22 member organizations involving approximately 12,000 households within the San Diego county area.  And, we intend to increase that number during 2002.

As for how you can help... well, if you are a member of, or know of, an organization which meets our membership criteria that might be interested in supporting our organizational goals and objectives as explained on our website -- please put them in contact with us.  One way individuals can contribute to our "cause" is by helping to spread the word when attendance/representation at a particular public meeting is required or when email/letters need to be sent, etc. to support the preservation of our rights and related interests.    

In this regard (i.e., getting support for meeting attendance and writing letters or emails) any help you can provide in getting the word out to those that share our concern for waterfowl hunting in the South Bay would be greatly appreciated.  The pertinent meeting schedules and agenda information, plus the 'when and where' to send letters or email may be obtained from the website at  http://sandiegorefuges.fws.gov/new/new.html  just click on Planning Update.  This same information and answers to any related question you might have can also be obtained from Vickie Touchstone at 619-691-1185 or Victoria_Touchstone@fws.gov.    

BTW, Jesse's website (http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard//ikonboard.cgi) was mentioned in some of your email.  Well, I've visited the site several times in the past, and I found some of the discussions to be both interesting and informative.  However, I hadn't see any mention of the "...hunting in South Bay issue, etc." until it was brought to my attention.  I certainly think that utilizing this, and similar sites would be a good way to publicize this issue and the related need for members of "our community" to get involved.  This is the type of focused and coordinated net-working capability that needs to be further developed and exploited to give us the means to actively and effectively marshall our resources to insure that our collective best interests are served.  Any volunteers.....?  Well, you don't need permission, just do it.  Every little bit will certainly help.  

All of you expressed very similar concerns or interests related to the South Bay NWR waterfowl hunting issue -- hopefully, I was successful in providing a satisfactory response for all of you with one email.  If I missed something, please don't hesitate to contact me again.  I'm 'cc-ing' a few folks for this email that I think might (or at least should) have an interest in this matter.  Well, that's all for now.  Lets keep in touch.  C-YA!!

Jack B....      

jerry d

Reaction score
The man speaks the truth. The anti's are a dedicated, well funded bunch and we, sportsmen/women, seem to be floundering around waiting for someone to rescue us.

I don't understand why every duck hunter in California isn't a member of the CWA. This organization, the NRA, CRPA and affiliated clubs/organizations are the only thing that's gonna be standing in the way of all firearms related activities going the way of the dodo bird. The general public sure as hell doesn't give a damn. Most of them have never seen a truly wild duck. They're to busy trying to make it in this dog eat dog society we live in.

I may not agree with every move these organizations make but I sure as hell had rather look at their overall record of fighting for me rather than say I'm not gonna support them because of some piddly difference I may have with some of their policies.

Can anyone not imagine what a front these organizations could present with our strong financial and voting booth support. How many sportsmen/women do we know that don't even bother to vote. Is it any wonder our legislature is full of dummies that think they know what's best for you and I.

Now that I've let off a little steam - Good luck to you S. Cal. duckhunters. Hope you get your spot to hunt dem ducks!!!

My son's in the military in San Diego and I was looking at the places he and I could go hunt some ducks down there. There aren't many. You fellows/gals sure need more places to hunt.

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I have been to the web site and sent my comments to the USFWS e mail contact provided.  I urge everyone else do the same.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom