Ending 2012 on a good note on the “Bottom of the Bay”

asaxon

Reaction score
So after getting the annual engine & outdrive over-hall plus a new gas tank ($$, don’t ask), we took the Moby Kate out for an end of year lobster diving trip in the Bay in spite of the not so good forecast. Turned out to be a great day except for some weird Santa Helper Elves who had gotten on the boat. Video of the elves doing the holiday dance was taken down by U-tube authorities as having no socially redeeming value.
DSCN1551 (1024x768).jpg

The swell was modest and long period, the sun was shining and the visibility under water was great at 20-30 feet which is almost as good as it gets along this part of coast. As the day wore on, in simply glassed over – we get some of the very best diving days in December – January the day before weather comes through. After jumping a few places with spotty lobsters, I dropped down on a small area with low rubble and from 25’ above the bottom I can see a nice lobster just walking about. That’s nice. When I get to the bottom, there are freakin’ antenna’s everywhere. I look around and very piece of structure is plugged with bugs. Holy Lobster! So I quickly grab my limit of 7 nice bugs in one little spot so as not to disturb the area too much and head up. My entire dive time from the surface, bottom and surface is 6 minutes. I then send down the others but with cameras so they can take pictures and then grab bugs afterward. I’ll provide some of those underwater pictures one I get them from the photographers.
DSCN1559 (768x1024).jpg

As we were had our limitDSCN1568 (1024x768).jpg of bugs, we went over to the Star of Scotland, a wreck in the Bay to enjoy the great visibility and let the photographers kill a lot of pixals. On the way over there, I spot something black floating on the surface. I glass it and it looks like a sea otter, the last thing I want to see down here as they are voracious predators on shellfish etc. However, it is bobbing too much so we go over to see what it is. What we discover it is gorgeous buoyancy compensator (on line price $390), with a diving regulator and hoses attached plus a game bag. No tank and thankfully, no dead body attached. Must have fallen off a boat – no idea how it could have ended up like that in the ocean otherwise. After a couple of dives on the Star, the clouds covered the sun so it got cold which meant it was time to dress out and head for home with all of having plans for lobster dinner as we need to eat them up before our traditional New Year’s day lobster dive…

DSCN1563 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

coachmetty

Reaction score
Man that looks yummy. I would love to do that one day. Congrats

asaxon

Reaction score
So here are some photos underwater. Nice lobster just stolling in the sand and then a big hand (of the photographer) grabbing it while simultaneously taking a picture. The other is on the Star of Scotland. Vis like this is not common unfortunately.

SMBAY12-22-2012PatrickSmith-2_zpsc05fabff.jpg SMBAY12-22-2012PatrickSmith-_zps42ce411b.jpgSMBAY12-22-2012PatrickSmith-7_zpsde91cf2c.jpg

KTKT70

Reaction score
wow.. how cool is that. good job. I would love to go do that sumtime. And i bet dinner was as good as it can get.

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Nice going. Right about the same time that lobster season starts, so does the bird season so I have still to pull any lobster. Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll get out once before the end of bird and before the end of lobster. Pics look great. How deep were you? Looks like you had plenty of light.

asaxon

Reaction score
Nice going. Right about the same time that lobster season starts, so does the bird season so I have still to pull any lobster. Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll get out once before the end of bird and before the end of lobster. Pics look great. How deep were you? Looks like you had plenty of light.
IF you go lobster diving, don't forget you need a new lobster card for 2013 (as well as a 2013 fishing license + ocean enhancement stamp). The dive with all the bugs was 60 fsw. The bugs are starting to bunch up as it is breeding time and they have moved out of the shallower water. The reason we had that much ambient light was the great visability.

CAtrailrider

Reaction score
Nice! I haven't dived in 7 yrs. I'm gonna have to dust off my gear and get back into it

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

smithstation

Reaction score
I dive monterey just for fun, its the closest ocean to me, about 2 hour drive. I would love to dive for lobster and in the warmer water. Our average bottom temp at 35-40ft this year has been 52 deg. That looks so fun!! Congrats on the succesful hunt!!

Top Bottom