Etched Circuit Board

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I etched a circuit board (2" x 3") using Glo-lab's PIR, the 4538 timer, and analog switch instead of a relay.  It also has a 4-position DIP switch to be able to adjust the time delays (30s, 1min, 3min, 5min).  The camera shutter output is adjustable from 0 to 11 seconds.  All you need to do is mount the circuit board to an enclosure, glue on the PIR lens, hook up an LED, batteries and the camera and it's ready to go.

I'm thinking of selling the circuit boards (either assembled or un-assembled) and was wondering if anybody would be interested....

davered1

Reaction score
always interested. What kind of price are we loking at?

wvhunter

Reaction score
Depending on the price I might be interested as well.  I am getting ready to start my second cam (if and when I ever find another OWL PF) and want to put a timer on this one.

gizz

Reaction score
This could be a big plus for the less electronically inclined.
Any idea on the voltage and current draw?

hamiltoe

Reaction score
davered1, wvhunter,
I was thinking of selling the circuit board alone along with a parts list, schematic, and component layout diagram for $10.00 plus shipping.

I was also thinking of selling the entire assembled circuit including PIR sensor/lens, timer circuits,
camera shutter output, counter module output (designed for Radioshack
(910-5316) counter module $12.99), power switch, mounting posts/screws, LED,
schematic, a mounting template and mounting instructions for $50.00 plus
shipping.

Gizz,
The board was designed to run off of 6VDC.  The at rest current draw is less that 1 mA.  I expect 4 AA's to last about 3 months and 4 C's to last over a year.  This is of course at room temperature...

Here's some pix...

Top View:

Inside mounted to case:

Bottom View:

Outside of cam view:

(Edited by hamiltoe at 1:11 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 You have cought my interest,kinda.This parts list,is everything available at RS?
 Basically it looks as if you drop everything in and solder in place and your good to go.What is the range on the PIR? is the posts holding it at the proper distance or does it need adjusted for maximum sensitivity?
 Keep in mind im not an Electrician of any sorts,but it does look simple.

knothead

Reaction score
sounds like your the answer to my problems.i have been trying to get someone who could figure out the board in the hawk-eye,but seems you may have a better way all togather.do you have any boards cut and ready yet.i would like to try a couple out.got the cams and boxes just been waiting for this type of board.:bounce-green:

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Passthru,
Yes,  all of the parts are available at radioshack with the exception of the PIR and fresnel lens.  These can be purchased at http://www.glolab.com the PIR is $4 and the fresnel lens is $4.  The PIR has to be mounted .65 inches from the lens.  I use 1" posts and solder the PIR so that it is .35" from the circuit board.  I then use hot glue to keep the PIR securely in place.  See the 2nd pic I posted, it shows the PIR offset from the circuit board.

The range is good to 60+ feet.  The circuit has gain adjustment to decrease the range if desired.

Keep in mind that if you assemble yourself, it will take a lot of soldering.  If you can solder pretty good, you should be able to get it done with no problems...

knothead,
Right now, I have 3 circuit boards drilled out with no components installed in them.  I only have 1 PIR/lens right now, with some on order as we speak. Email me if you are interested...

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Also, the RE200B PIR sensor which is the same one Glolab sells, is available from http://www.MPJA.com for $3.25 each.  They don't have it advertised on their web site, so you can give them a call to order it.  At quantities of 10, I believe the price was around $2.50 each.  

Also, if you figure shipping and handling for just one or two lenses and PIRs, you will come out cheaper just buying a Mainstay from Wallyworld are removing the PIR from the circuit board and the lens as well.  They are only $9.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:03 pm on Dec. 26, 2001)

davered1

Reaction score
Now you know I wil have to try one.

Let me know when your ready to sell,I'll give one a whirl

sven

Reaction score
Hamitoe,

I would be interested in two of the bare board setups.  

Also, if you're interested in buying the PIRs and fresnal lenses, or for that matter any of the components in bulk, I would be willing to pay part of the shipping costs in return for the bulk discount price to save a little extra.

Let me know when you're ready to sell, and if you can do the parts kit.

Thanks,

Sven

Stever

Reaction score
hamiltoe, don't mean to sound stupid but for $50 USD I can get an assembled electronic componant, that is ready for the camera to hook up to has a timer and event counter? All i would need is the camera and housing to mount it in?  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi hamiltoe,
Sounds like a good idea!
I did notice you said power consumption was around 1mA.  I thought the Glolab circuit was supposed to be "micropower"  My home-made sensor/timers, which are similar to Glolabs - but with extra functions added on - consume only around 200uA (microAmps)  What op-amp ICs are you using??  You might be able to lower power consumption considerably by using different parts.
>>>>
Jaggermax is right - 10x RE200B sensors at MPJA - part #7250-MI - available for 2.59US$ + S&H

Fresnel lenses can be purchased in 30 US$ lots from:
http://www.fresneltech.com
for around 0.35 US$ each - price depends upon type and material - they even sell dark grey versions for that sleek "Euro-look" :}

Good Luck with this venture!,
Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 8:37 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Stever,

The circuit board has a built in spot to add an event counter, but it does not come as part of the deal.  I designed it around a particular counter that is available at Radioshack's website (part # 910-5316).  It's pretty small and works perfectly for me.  

You just have to solder the counter's wires to the board and add a reset switch.  You would still have to solder the wires to the board from the camera, solder the external walk test LED (not supplied), and finally solder the battery connection to the board.  The board does come with a power switch that resides on the board.  Other than that, that's all of the electrical connections required.

Also, keep in mind that if you do not want a counter or LED, you simply don't hook them up.  The circuit will still work fine without them.

Archilochus,
I'm using a standard LM324 quad op amp.  All of the other IC's are CMOS.  The current draw is much less than 1mA.  My meter says I'm using around 0.7 mA.  I think my meter doesn't have enough resolution on my meter to get accurate readings...

I was able to find the RE200B's the Jaggermax pointed me to.  

Thanks for the lead on the fresnel lens, those bugars seem hard to find.  Their web site doesn't have much sales info, so I emailed them for a catalog.

Hamiltoe

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
WHERE DO YOU GET THE POSTS TO HOLD THE CIRCUIT BOARD THE PROPER DISTANCE FROM THE FRESNEL LENS?

hamiltoe

Reaction score
At RadioShack (Part Number 910-3043).  They also sell screws, but only the steel kind.  If you want nyon screws you can get them at http://www.mouser.com or http://www.digikey.com.  I live in Atlanta and RadioShack has a huge RadioShack.com store.  I was able to get some there, but I haven't been able to find them online.

I get the 1" standoff's.  The trick is to mount the PIR offset about .35 " from the circuit board.

bmulley

Reaction score
hamiltoe, sounds great.  You did nice work on the design of this board. I'm interested either way you decide to go with it.

MONSTERBUCKT

Reaction score
Haven't seen a reply lately,are you planning on making the circuit boards or plans.I would be interested in purchasing 5 or 10 of them

Top Bottom