Ethics

feelinducky

Reaction score
Ok, since there has been a post regarding shooting quail while there running a question popped into my head.  Dr's have ethics, attorneys have ethics, hunters have ethics.  I know that there are books for Dr's and attorneys about ethical practice but is there anything written about hunter ethics.  Maybe a bad question but just wondering.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
feelinducky,

I think there needs to be some sort of ethics in hunting, but it will differ from person to person.  Here are a few things I try to stick too.

1)  Never leave trash in the field or on the pond.
2)  If you hunt on private property make sure to thank the owner.
3)  Do your best to retrieve lost birds.
4)  Take care of your spots.

This last one is the most important rule for me and my hunting group!

5)  Don't shoot hen pintails

tinner

Reaction score
hey kid, ducky there has got to be a person on this board that knows something about publishing a book. we can all get together and input a list of the logical ethics ie( pick up trash permission on private land) and then add in a list of our own personal ethics, i am sure most will overlapp. it could be called "Jesse's book of hunting ethics" or something. with credits to the members of his board. the procees can go to 9-11-01 victims and or a favorite prohunting politician or club.  

ranchwife

Reaction score
There has been a book published on the ethics of hunting.  It is called:
Beyond Fair Chase:  The ethic and tradition of hunting
By:  Jim Posewitz
Publisher:  Falcon Press; copyright 1994
ISBN:  1-56044-283-2

This book was originally published for new hunters (children), but is good reading for experienced hunters.  It is a small paperback (4x5 inches), 112 pages and is beautifully illustrated.  The contents include: The place of the hunter, What is an Ethic, Knowing and Respecting Wildlife, Following the Rules, The Ethics of Preparation (Safety, shooting, physical fitness, landowner relations), The Ethics of the Hunt (fair chase, deciding to shoot, wounding), Ethics After the Shot (accepting the gift, care and beyond, the notion of trophy), and the North American Hunter (the hunter-conservationist, the evolution of the American hunter).

This is really a neat little book and has good stories and good advice - well worth the $5.95.

feelinducky

Reaction score
Tinner:  I know nothing about publishing.  But not a bad idea. Maybe even include a section on proper duck ettiquette at San Jacinto or Lake Perris. Just teasing ya Tinner.
Rick

(Edited by feelinducky at 7:16 pm on Nov. 9, 2001)

tinner

Reaction score
good one ducky lol:^). i really dont kow much about duck hunting.

Top Bottom