eTrex Legend Quirk

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
While flying to Yellowstone last week I would turn my GPS on and follow along.  After taking off from Salt Lake City headed to Bozeman I turned my GPS on and the screen got all scrambled.  I attributed it to dead batteries since I had run it all day on previous flights and changed the batteries.  The new batteries did the same thing.  I tried using it the next day and it was fine.   It still seems fine but every once in a while I will notice a little bit of screen scrambling, no to the extent in the airplane, on the opening screens.  

Anyone else have this happen??

Thanks,
Todd

foulshot

Reaction score
Todd, is this after it acquires the sat's.  I have turned mine on and it has brought up the map of the last place I had it turned on, then after a few moments it switches to current location.  Never had a scrambles screen though.

Trikstr

Reaction score
Were you on a commercial flight? If so maybe it was some sort of signal interferrance from all the electronics in the cockpit.
Never seen anything like that with my Legend.

bntman

Reaction score
I have had the same quirk on my Vista. The first time it happened, the screen was out of whack like the horizontal adjustment out on your TV. I shut if off and back on, same thing. I did it again and it was fine.

The next time however, I gave it a light tap on the side of the unit, and it straightened right up. Tells me they possibly have some connections that are failing after they get a little age on them, akin to cracked solders. Certainly behaved like a physical short...

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I've since noticed that if I push the button and start scrolling through the different screens it will clear up. It's still a pain though. I need to contact Garmin.

Todd

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me this weekend, it seemed to fix it self after a while. I would like to hear what Garmin has to say.

Hawk 1

Reaction score
Todd P,

My hunting partner and I have the same GPS and while hunting last fall my partners GPS did the same thing with the strange screen. We don't know what caused it but it seemed to clear it self up. Let us know if you find out the cause.

Thanks,

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Mine has cleared up and I haven't had a problem with it since. Maybe I finally chased the gremlins out of it.

Todd

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Todd

Have you had anymore problems with your etrex? I had to send my Vista back to Garmin because I broke the LCD display. Lately I've noticed the screen srambling on the receiver. Also the joystick isn't working correctly. Sometimes it won't respond in the down or right direction?

bntman

Reaction score
I am fixing to have to send mine back. The screen scrambling is getting more frequent, and it is a physical problem, because I can eventually make it go away with taps to the side. My joystick is also becoming unresponsive. It is about to turn me off Garmin...

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I sent mine back with out a receipt. We'll see what happens. If it is still under a year warranty they refurbish is for free. After a year it suppose to cost $100.

fpscabs

Reaction score
Todd
Sorry I couldn't find the receipt. Let me know what happens. My Click Stick does not work like it use to. Now that I have the Vista, I can see the difference between the sticks. I never did have the screen problems.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
A follow up: I sent my eTrex back with out a receipt, it was out of warranty, and Garmin fixed the problem at no charge. Nothing like a working with a good company.

ToddP

Advertisement

Top Bottom