eTREX

shaman

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the basic model(local store has them on sale for $80)? Pros, cons, likes, dislikes. Says it comes  with a pc interface cable, what can you do with this(the nessecary software probably cost more than the unit huh.)? looks good to me as I'm not in the habit of getting to far away from known territory so don't need a lot of bells and whistles.  Thanks for any input/advice.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't know much about them but think they'd be ok for getting you there and back out.  For $80, it be a good 1st unit to see how  much you'd really use it.  I bet it has more features than the $250 unit I bought several years ago and I still like my old unit.....

I think this site has a short review of it, you might like to try this GeoCaching too, I took a couple nephews and found one of these treasures several months ago....

http://www.geocaching.com/

Tinhorn

MBullism

Reaction score
I bought the same unit I think you're describing.  It works o.k., but has a habit of being "iffy" under light foliage/canopy.  Not a problem for me at the height of deer season with the leaves down, but kinda a pain during spring turkey season and general summer stomping.  I don't ahve the pc interface cable but I do enter lat/long into my topo software by hand to mark stand sights, scouting notes, etc.  It's really not as time consuming as it sounds...  for the price I feel that I got what I paid for, but I still don't go "walkabout" without a basic compass backup...

M

PowDuck

Reaction score
Man, you better grab that deal. The unit is generally $120 at Wal-Mart and the PC cable is around $30 at Cabelas. You don't need any software to use the cable. You can download the latest software version from Garmin and load it into your eTrex with the cable. If you have mapping software and a laptop it gets really neat.

The eTrex basic unit is a great little unit. It does all the necessary functions without all the extra bells and whistles.

Go buy that unit!

Billy in VA

Reaction score
See my post on "which one? "
Both of my boys have one and they are great.  If they are down to $80.00 (And where is this at?) I will get myself one.  You can get the data cable to hook it to your PC and up or down load routs and waypoints to different programs.  They are a good deal IMHO.  Later  Billy

shaman

Reaction score
Just went on sale for 79.99 again at the Fry's electronics store in sacramento. the pc cable goes for $36(?).

HogHunter101

Reaction score
I have the Garmin e-Trex, (the yellow one)  and it works great for me.  Its alot more basic than the more expensive ones, but for mapping your stand locations it works well.

Top Bottom