Eurasian Collard Doves

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
At the most recent California F&G Commission meeting, the F&G Department presented an amendment to the F&G code that would allow the unlimited take of Eurasian Collard Doves during the normal dove season. The commission approved a motion to allow the DFG to publish a notice of commission intent to amend the F&G code.

I believe public comment will be taken at the next meeting. Stay tuned!!!!

lote

Reaction score
the little animation at the bottom of your post says it all!

leftyhunter

Reaction score
To cool! let us know when and where to e- mail support.

Leftyhunter

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
It should be year round like rock doves (pidgeons) since they are both invasive species.

faith

Reaction score
I wish too it was year round, but I dont think that will ever happen in Ca. There thinking before was that to many hunters, inexperienced or trigger happy, could not tell the difference in flight from the other doves and would be getting ticketed or even worse hiding there mistakes!

I happen to see there point, I'll be happy for at least unlimited during the general season.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I would like to see the season Sept. 1-Feb.1 or year round, with a 10 bird limit (how many can you eat?). These birds got pretty smart last year. Real easy to get early, but by the end of the 2nd season. They would come in high from the towns and helicopter into the middle of feed lots. I was in the valley a few weeks back and there were 100's of birds in the usual spots.

Attachments

Mike C

Reaction score
I have seen ECD north of Santa Maria and on a trip on the I5 a couple of weeks ago saw them at a rest stop way up north by Merced.

They're everywhere.

foulshot

Reaction score
Take it year round if you can get it! and make the limit more like 20, if there even is one.

It's not gonna be just a cali probem....

Hendy64

Reaction score
i would like year round with no limit mainly because alot of my buddys who own dairys are simply infested with them but cant do nothing until wait for season and just take 10 a day.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Hendy,
If your buddies are having depredation problems they should contact DFG they might be able to obtain a depredation permit to hunt the euro doves year round since they are an invasive species and they eat valuable grain. If your buddies are having trouble with pigeons maybe a JHO pigeon shoot might be in order. I have to drive more the 100 miles to wack pigeons so if the dairies are closer I would be interested or some JHO'oers who live close may also be interested. If you would like give me an e-mail.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

Marty

Reaction score
Heck Yeah. It's a 420 mile round trip to the Imperial Valley.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
REMOVING THE LIMIT ON COLLARED DOVES

Jim Matthews, Outdoor News Service

June 5 2008

Even when the DFG has the right idea, they can't seem to get it 100 percent right. Another proposal for this fall is to remove the limit on Eurasian collared doves. This is a non-native species that is taking over the southern tier of the country, and removing the limit would allow hunters to take as many of the prolific birds as they wanted. This is a good idea. But we could still only hunt them during the regular dove season.

While that's better than nothing, why is there a closed season at all on bird you'd prefer to eliminate? It doesn't make sense.

I know where this proposal originated. Game wardens think hunters are too stupid to tell the difference between a collared dove and a mourning dove in flight and would shoot the wrong bird if the season was open year around on collared doves. I have mourning doves, collared doves, and barnyard pigeons in my neighborhood. You might, if you were a real novice and really not paying attention, confuse the collared dove with the pigeon, but never would you confuse either with a mourning dove. Besides, it's the hunter's job to know the difference. Cite the dummies who screw up.

The DFG needs to put collared doves and rock doves (barnyard pigeons) on the unprotected list, allowing for their hunting all year. Right now, technically, barnyard pigeons are not supposed to be hunted except during "dove" season, too. But the DFG just sort of winks about the pigeons, and they are shot year around.

There's a chance here for the state to get something right, expand hunter opportunity, and fix this in time for the Fish and Game Commission to make the right decision on this proposal in August. As with the fall turkey season, your comments have to be to the Commission no later than August 5.[/b]

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Well, they've made it over the mountains to San Diego. This picture was taken in Ramona (thurs). I also saw one in San Marcos and Valley Center. I was also told today that DFG is now considering the Arizona regulations on them. The number one concern is that they push Mourning Doves out of the nesting areas. So far, this has not been proven. In fact, it's been reported that Mourning Doves are doing the chasing.

Attachments

leftyhunter

Reaction score
No doubt they are north of San Diego I have seen them in Tulare County one of the othe guys saw them in Santa maria which is along the coast. There are plenty of dairies in the Central valley so there will be plenty of grain for them to eat. I have seen some dairies that don't have pigeons or crows just Brewers Blackbirds so the Euro's won't have competition for grain. I hope all of us e- comment to the DFG Euros taste just has good has native doves.

Leftyhunter

pbrdog

Reaction score
I saw some in Lompoc a couple weeks ago.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Last years opener we were in bakersfield on a family members dairy and the magority of are birds were ECDs, Atleast this year the shooting will be non stop!!!!

faith

Reaction score
I think I remember someone posting a picture here of a euro next to a morningdove in the same picture. Does anyone have that? To give those here that dont have the constant visual of doves like some of you or who have just gotten into dove hunting, to show the exact size difference between the two.
September 1st is only2 1/2 months away! Wack and stack baby!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom