Evacuation phone call Oroville spillway failure possible

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Yuba County called an hour or so ago and said to evacuate if we live in a low area. We do not so we are good. I have a friends family heading to my house until the threat of the Oroville Dam spillway is failure is past. All of highway 70 and 20 are gridlocked now and they made them one way traffic leaving town for higher ground only. Never thought I would get that pone call.
If you have not seen the news a section at the top of the dam 1700' long and 20-50' tall is apparently getting close to collapsing. If it collapse it will drain the top 20+ feet of the reservoir down the hillside as fast as water can go. Nothing else on TV up here tonight

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Yes it will. The areas of high risk are around Oroville and then some lower areas around Marysville and Yuba City. I live at 750' of elevation and they are around 50' above sea level. The water in the reservoir is dropping and we may have dodged a bullet. Won't really know for a day or so.

dthome

Reaction score
Hang in there, John. Glad you could help friends!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Stay safe John. That looked pretty crazy on the news. Holler if you need any help.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I just saw this on the news. I hope all my JHO brethren weather this safely. Evacuate if they call for it, because flood water doesn't fool around; just ask the good folks living in Johnstown, PA in 1889.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Everybody in my house is doing great. We were going to have a small pot of spaghetti last night and when we invited friends to come over we just made a really large pot of spaghetti. Now the waiting game begins to see when they will let families return to their homes.
It is interesting watching the local news with the run on all of the gas stations and local grocery stores. I think most of us on here can manage a long time without needing to run to the store. Being an outdoor family we have what we need to get by for at least a few days. I have people sleeping in my RV as well as in our spare bedroom.
In case of emergency can I shoot one of the gobblers on my lawn this morning in order to feed the extra people? LOL I have a neighbor that has always said when things get really tough that is when he will take a deer or a turkey no matter the season. Until then he doesn't allow hunting on his lawn. We are no where near a food emergency yet.

Hoooper

Reaction score
Hopefully they get some repairs done to the main spillway in the short term so they can be releasing water when the next storm hits on Thursday.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
You got a good head on your shoulders John, you'll prepair what needs to be prepaired and get what needs to be done done and Care for those that need Caring. Wishing Only the Best for you

P304X4

Reaction score
News here is sketchy...I've heard that if it really goes south that some of the close areas could face a wall of water up to 30 ft.? Also heard that fed and local gov. were warned up to twelve years ago by local groups that this could happen. Gov. said the cost was to high and ignored the warnings.

dblsmk

Reaction score
Some State govt. we have. Instead of doing modifications and repairs during low water, Ca. is worried about bullet trains and sanctuary status. I hope nobody gets bit on the behind having to leave their homes.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Wish you all the best up there. Lots of talk down here in kern county. We have been on high alert for flood if the Lake Isabella dam failed. The corp of engineers lowered the water level but with all the ran people are watching the dam and hopefully it will hold strong. Hope y'all up north will be safe and ok.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Families are now allowed to return to their homes. The family that was staying here plan on packing bags and leaving them packed for a few weeks just in case the evacuation order is given again. I guess this was just a "practice run". The next few weeks will certainly be interesting and we hope that is all it is, "just interesting" is enough for now. I wonder how orderly the repopulation of the evacuated areas will be? In a press conference a couple of days ago there was talk of a plan but today they just said it was OK to return to your home.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Round two John, hope all is well and that the weather treats you all gently

P304X4

Reaction score
Checked a couple of weather sites today...keep a close eye n the low pressure area west of SF. If it stalls for any length of time it might send more rain north. Stay safe everyone.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Hey John didn't rain as much as they were talking qbout down here, how did you guys hold up?

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
We did not get much on Saturday or Sunday but I got 1.6" last night. So far the major rivers that feed the reservoirs are not really a problem. There is however a lot of local flooding from the local rains. We are not in a location where any of those issues hurt us but people on the valley floor are not as lucky. Oroville is in great shape now and the authorities are optimistic that Oroville will not have any flooding issues.

Advertisement

Top Bottom