Ever cut Fido's hair to cool them off?

BDOG

Reaction score
Every year we hear about dogs that die from heat exhaustion. My 4yr old lab has added a few pounds. He still gets pretty warm even though I keep him wet. Has anyone shaved the back strap , belly or other part to help keep fido cool.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Unless the dog has excessive coat I think you may do more harm than good shaving your dog. The coat helps insulate and protect them from the sun and whatever brush they may run into. Getting them into shape is the best thing you can do as well as putting the dog on a diet if needed. Porky dogs don't do well in the heat.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
Keep them watered but don't let them gorge lots of water or stomach torsion can be an issue if the dog is still active with a full belly.

I make sure that I always have the first aid box at hand. For Heat Stroke I keep a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and a quart of water in the box along with a collapsible Nalgene bottle. The 2 should be mixed 50/50 and immediately applied to the dogs 4 armpits as well as their underside if you suspect the possibility of exhaustion. It will cool them down quickly. Try to never let your dog get to that point though, watch them closely in warm conditions because it can happen fast and there is a point of no return.

I had a scare with my Black Lab up at Camp Roberts a couple years ago when it was scorchin' hot during the Dove opener. He was OK but he really got hot and started looking for shade on his own, that's highly unusual for him. I knew something wasn't right so we scooted back to the rig for a water dousing and a long cool down. I vowed that I would NEVER let him get that close to exhaustion again....and I won't!

BDOG

Reaction score
I'm insulted! You know what they say, A dog is a reflection of the handler. Ok I could loose a few pounds. I have been walking sparky every evening but not seeing a drop in either one of our fat as---. I was thinking of thinning shears rather than shaving. Gotta leave some hair for protection. Just thin it out a bit.

BDOG

Reaction score
I watch my dog close also. I usually hunt by a canal so he can hop in. How does the alcohol help cool them down. I think it may feel cool but does it really help reduce the dogs body temp? I don't get far from the truck either. I even thought about tossing him in the cab this year. I usually wet him down with a wet blanket over his kenel when traveling though the heat. He sure had a ball last season.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
No offense intended BDOG, I could stand to loose a few pounds also
. I just wish I had the discipline to stay in shape after bird season. By Jan I am a lean, mean, hill climbing machine, and my dogs can run forever. But damn the off season. It's like starting over every september. You might just want to try brushing, at least clean out any old undercoat if it hasnt shed out aleady. I don't think dogs get much out of walking they really need to open up and run, but swimming will work when it's hot.

BDOG

Reaction score
My lab is the Yellow Submarine. We have a pool and you would be surprised what strong swimmers they are. My lab walks on water and the rottie swims at eye level with nose poking just above the surface.The rottie is constantly in the pool. She even sticks her hole head under. Then she rides the special bus also.

MexHunter

Reaction score
I have no problem implementing dietary discipline for my dogs. If they are a little on the heavy side, I just take a handful or so out of their normal rations. If I start seeing ribs, I add a handful at each meal.

I wish I had the self discipline when dishing out my own grub.

Russ

Top Bottom