Ever dropped a tiny camera screw?

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I'm sure there is someone out there who does not know this, so I thought I'd post it to make someone's life a bit easier.

You can magnetize you screw drivers to avoid losing those tiny screws!  All you need is, well, a magnet.  Just take a magnet and slide it down the metal shaft of the screw driver.  Test it, if it did not magnetize it, slide it the other way.  To unmagnetize it, slide magnet along the shaft in the opposite direction.

The magnet which is in the RS PIR's speaker will work fine for the small screwdrivers we use for the camera screws.

I suppose a bigger/stronger magnet will give a screwdriver more "holding power."

Tinhorn

Reaction score
That's a good idea, it's nice to have a magnetized screwdrive for putting that screw back in that's way down inside the Owl PF, by the take up spool......

Gun Docc

Reaction score
howdy folks,

the magnatized screwdriver does help out a lot with the small screws

a better way to magnatize your screwdriver for it to be a lot stronger is simple

take a piece of wire about a foot long , then wind it around the screwdriver shaft next to the blade tip ,
usally about 4 to 5 rounds.

for the next step i usually use my vehicles 12 volt battery but a lesser battery will work.

take the wire ends that you have wound around your screwdriver  and touch one end of it to the negative side of the battery and then take the other end and touch it to the positive side of the battery for very short periods as the wire gets extremely hot.
do this several times with you holding it to the positive terminal only for a FEW seconds each time and you will come out with a strong magnatized screwdriver.

you can use this same method to magnatize about any tool you need

watch your fingers while doing this as the wire will burn you if left on the battery terminals too long but it works great to magnatize almost anything you want to act as a magnet

Later,

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Gun Docc, just how close of a relation are you to Red Green?

:7-bouncin:

Gun Docc

Reaction score
msfelton,

looked the website over and have to say i still never heard of the feller.....lol

guess i never watch canadian tv much...hehehe
don't even watch much tv anyways as i got too much other stuff to do....lol

Later,

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Sorry, Gun Docc, I guess I didn't realize Red Green isn't broadcast much below the Mason-Dixon line.  Oh well, I still gave myself a chuckle.  

Hmm, surely this doesn't mean that those southerners are more refined than I've given them credit for...hehehe

(Edited by msfelton at 11:35 am on Feb. 27, 2002)

Top Bottom