everybody with bobcat pics

Ray

Reaction score
We've got a project going to monitor bobcat populations on NC State property using homebrew cams.  I'd like to hear from all you folks who have found cats with your cameras.  Any set up tips would be a great help.    

What was your site like, was there bait of any kind, what other critters showed up, how long was the cam on that spot before the cat showed up, what direction was the cam facing, was it looking over a trail or road, time of year, etc....?

We've been putting the cameras facing dirt roads and paths bordering brushy fields and clearings.  For bait we're using bobcat pee and feathers dangling on a string.  No bobcats yet, but lots of deer, dogs, and feral housecats.  

Thanks a bunch,
Ray Bode
NCSU - Forestry

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I know a guy who traps many bobcat every year,he puts his trap line out near Bluffs on the river.Cats like places like that,but im no expert on cat behavior.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Ray >> Where are you doing you monitoring? Hill Forest?

I have cams out near Efland, NC I have only gotten one Bobcat pic this year so far. We have a 300 acre tract that was clear cut 4 years ago. The only place I ever see them is around the old road beds, a couple of the old limb piles.
Scat is very evident in a couple places. I wanted to put out a turkey decoy and see if I could get pic's of a cat attacking one. With hunting season going on I just haven't made the time, but will one of these days.

Good Luck.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
If there are "Hog Wire" fences in the area that you can cut small holes in, about a foot in dia or so,  Bobcats, and other predators or lazy and like to walk thru them.  A good place is at a Corner....

Be sure the fence line now uses barb wire, etc before cutting holes in somebodies fence - check with the land owner.  Lots of farms now have added strands of barbwire to the old hog wire fences in our area

Cats don't have a good sense of smell and I doubt adding scent helps much but the feathers or rabbit fur will.  They use vision so be sure the "Flag" is readily visible.  

I've heard a wire coat hanger, the kind that has the white paper on it, works good too.  suspend it so it swirls around by the wind.....no experiece here tho

Tinhorn

Welby

Reaction score
I have been fortunate to capture a few on my camera...well, actually it could have been the same cat in all my pictures as all my bobcat pictures were taken in areas less than 200 yards from each other.

I did nothing special.  My cam was in a tree that overlooked a very well used deer trail alongside a deep flowing creek.  The creek was at the base of a bluff though.

Ray

Reaction score
Arrowhead,

We don't have any in Hill yet.  We've built 3 so far (tight state budget) and they are on NCSU land close to campus (trying to keep the driving cost down).  I've seen scat on the log roads on one site.

Tinhorn,

Thanks for the coat hanger tip, I'll put one out soon.

Welby,

What part of the country are you in?  How much time passed between cat visits?  What time of year did you get the most passes?

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Ray,
I'm on the East coast (Pennyslvania) so it may not be of much help. I've only gotten one Bobcat pic and the setup was on high flat area with a lot of small trees and saplings. An old deadfall provided a good way for the cat to get up high and see/stalk? Really the setup wasn't intended for a bobcat but it worked out that way. Incidently i did get a pic of a weasel at the same setup so maybe the cat was looking for some tasty weasel.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom