Expandable broadhead question

JNDEER

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to be using the shockwave 125gr. expandable broadheads. I am very accurate with a regular practice tip (125gr). I was just told by an archer that even though they claim to fly like practice tips they can be off as much as 6 inches??? Is this true? Anyone use this broadhead and could confirm that? He suggested i take a broadhead and remove the rubberband then super glue the blades to the tip and use it as my practice tip to get sighted in correctly for that broadhead, good idea or bad? Also, i have never shot a deer with this broadhead any good or bad experiences if anyone has heard? Oh, i shoot a high country excaliber 31/68. Anyone shot expandables and have major issues with them not opening and making a good pass through the deer or make good penetration compared to a fixed blade.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JNDEER @ Aug 3 2006, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, I am going to be using the shockwave 125gr. expandable broadheads. I am very accurate with a regular practice tip (125gr). I was just told by an archer that even though they claim to fly like practice tips they can be off as much as 6 inches??? Is this true? Anyone use this broadhead and could confirm that? He suggested i take a broadhead and remove the rubberband then super glue the blades to the tip and use it as my practice tip to get sighted in correctly for that broadhead, good idea or bad? Also, i have never shot a deer with this broadhead any good or bad experiences if anyone has heard? Oh, i shoot a high country excaliber 31/68. Anyone shot expandables and have major issues with them not opening and making a good pass through the deer or make good penetration compared to a fixed blade.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.[/b]
This needs to go to the Bowhunting section down below....First, I shoot all my broadheads I'm going to hunt with with my field-points...If your bow's tuned you'll be good....Second, they have to 'spin' straight, no wobble what so ever in them...Test each one!

I use both fixed and Mech, depending on my hunts...All shoot the same for me, but I'm a nut when it comes to tuning my bow! Good luck!

BDB

Reaction score
There is always lots of discussion on this top. A search will get you all you need to know. Some swear by them and some (though far less) swear at them. I have used the Spitfire 125's and really like them. You will lose some pentration though. Not a big problem if you are shooting plenty of KE to start with. I shoot them for deer at times but never at pigs or (someday soon) elk. That is just my choice. A properly tuned bow should shoot most fixed blade broadheads right in there with field points. I have always found that my expandables shoot right with my field points but they do have more surface area than a field point so if your bow is out of tune they (expandables) may not group right with your field points.

The spitfires come with practice baldes that have the same profile of the expandable but do not open and are great for practice. I don't know about the ones you are using though. The super glue idea might work and also might wreck that BH for future use on game. I suppose you could clean it off with some sort of solvent though.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
A very simple rule... if you're going to shoot them at animals, you need to shoot them at targets first.

That claim about "they fly just like field points" has been made many times, and almost never pans out like the advertising copy. You owe it to yourself and to the game you hunt to know where those broadheads are gonna hit BEFORE you sling them at a critter.

Good luck... it's almost time!

NCahuntinfool

Reaction score
I havent used the expandable broadheads. But a friend of mine told me the only problem he had was the blades breaking on him. Even though they say the expanables will shoot just like a field point with the same weight, I dont think they will. If you take two different broadheads with the same weight and size they will both shoot different. It may be just a little different but that little difference could meen the difference between a dead deer and a wounded deer. My advice would be to get a couple extra broadheads (the same kind that you are going to use) and use those for sighting your bow in. Personally I wouldnt use the super glue, I dont want anything added to my arrow that is not going to be there when I shoot at a deer. If you sight it in using exactly what you are going to use in the field then you can be confident that you can make a good shot. then the rest is up to you.

Oh by the way personally I believe in Muzzy to be the god of broadheads

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Definately shoot targets before critters, always. I have six practice heads, and six hunting heads.

Also with that type of head you need some good ke to keep them opening and pushing on through. I shot spitfires for a while, but had some reservations about their deflecting on quartering shots, I conducted my own personal tests and decided to go back to a fixed blade, but that is me.

good luck

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
rocket arrowheads in the 125 grain have never failed for me. they bust threw the bone just as well
as my zwickey deltas did back in the old days, my rockets just happen to fly better so i switched.
like every one says though, pratice with the ones your going to poke some fun at.good luck.

hatchet

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
JNDEER you must practice with the broadhheads you will use out in the feild, they can be off by 3 in. or more sometimes. if you want to find out the hard way thats your choice, but as hunters we owe to the game animals we hunt to do everything possible to assure an accurate clean pass threw so the animal can expire quickly with the least amount of suffering possible, yes ETHICS!
either invest in a Yellow Jacket Broadhead Target or go to your local archery shop and usally they will have a broadhead target to use and tune with. just remember the desicions you make you will have to live with for the rest of your life..................tra

smokeeter

Reaction score
just shoot your broadheads into a mound of clear sand, it will dull the blades but won't do any other damage to the heads themselves.

Top Bottom