Extended CA pheasant season

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Looks like the DFG has proposed to the F&G Commission to extend the pheasant season by two weeks.  The F&G Commission is going to vote on it on August 2nd.

Here is the text of the proposal:

Existing regulations [Section 300(a)(1)(A)(1)] provide that the season for hunting pheasants is from the second Saturday in November extending for 30 consecutive days. The Department accepted a public proposal to extend the season for two weeks. The Department is now proposing to the Commission that the pheasant hunting season open on the second Saturday in November, and extend for 44 days. The Department believes that this will provide additional hunting opportunity, with no adverse effects on pheasant populations. Most other states have pheasant hunting seasons from six to twelve weeks. Only male pheasants may be legally taken, and post-season composition counts conducted on heavily-hunted state wildlife areas in California show rooster to hen ratios well above those needed to assure that all hens are fertilized the following spring.

Consequently, there is no sound biological reason for not allowing a longer pheasant hunting season. An additional benefit of a longer season is that some landowners may be more likely to consider pheasant habitat needs when making land management decisions. This would also benefit numerous other wildlife species.

NOTICE IS GIVEN that any person interested may present statements, orally or in writing, relevant to this action at a hearing to be held in the City Hall, City Council Chambers, 990 Palm Street, San Luis Obispo, on Friday, August 2, 2002, at 8:30 a.m. or as soon thereafter as the matter is heard. It is requested, but not required, that written comments may be submitted on or before July 26, 2002 at the address given below, or by fax at (916) 653-5040, or by e-mail to FGC@dfg.ca.gov, but must be received no later than August 2, 2002 at the hearing in San Luis Obispo. E-mail comments must include the true name and mailing address of the commentor.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I agree with KID on they need to open up more land to hunt on......

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Looks like there will be plenty of pheasant in the Imperial Valley if the latest DWU project has a high success rate.  I understand that the way they are planting the crops for dove will also provide habitat for the released pheasant.

Remshot

Reaction score
Hello everyone,this my first post on this forum but I've been lurking for some time.This is the most all around informative site I've seen.Anyone else out there from Imperial Valley? :wavin:

Fullsack, I live here in the Imperial Valley and have a first time dove hunter and another friend that's new to the area looking at me to help 'em get their birds.Where are those 29 fields I've read about on another post in this forum?I suspect on the north end. I've seen lot's of dove off Lyons Rd around the riverbottom lately and everywhere else it seems like.Most of the birds are on cut Sudan in that area.I just hate to see the fields get posted 2 days before the opener and have these guys get let down.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Remshot
Welcome to JHP. This is the greatest hunting site on the web you wont be disapointed. Are the doves flying down there? I use to hunt down by Brawley for many years.  

Remshot

Reaction score
Lot's of dove right now,lot of Whitewings too.The quail pop. seems kinda skimpy though,not much rain this year.Qbn,did you ever hunt here back when they grew all that milo? Paradise, almost as good as Mexico.
I'll just make time for more scouting but the end of Aug. sometimes has a big wind with rain that's sends the birds packin', that's what I don't like. Whatever,they're gonna git it!

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Remshot welcome to the Jesse’s page. I do know that AMMOe lives out in Hell Centro also MPMI and myself go out to the valley about once a month maybe we can meet one weekend. The fields are all up in the north end of the Valley I’ll pull out my map and get some cross streets for you if you need them.
WBH

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Remshot I use to hunt out by the feed lot outside of town. It was a great spot.

Remshot

Reaction score
Thanks Wildbirdhunter,sure could use the info.I kinda figured the fields would be in the north end.We just may have to hook up sometime during the season. Do you do ducks?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Remshot

Welcome to JHP.  We look forward to your input!!!!  And we welcome all questions!!!!

Funny you ask about WBH and him hunting ducks . . . I'll let him explain!

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Sorry Remshot I don't do duck any more long cold story on that one. I was out last weekend with MPMI shooting ground squirrels and in on the fields we did see some Quail but no young but we have seen a good number of pheasant and pheasant young. The bad thing is the area we where in is always posted about a week before pheasant season opens.  I’ll get the info and send it to you on the fields I know that some are new from last years fields.WBH

Remshot

Reaction score
WBH,were you hunting the north end? I seldom have have the time to head up that direction in the summer.I like the westside and around the Hi-Line canal.We have taken quail a couple miles into the desert from the Hi-line around the bigger dunes.They lead you around like Mountain quail from dune to dune,lotsa fun. Low rainfall this yr.,hot,humid and overcast today.
 Well,shoot. To heck with the ducks anyway.There's still plenty of everything else to hunt.

d trees

Reaction score
Qbn that spot was a ZOO on the 2nd opener last year never seen more boneheads in one spot in my life very unsafe spot to bad , had to walk down the train tracks to get a shot off ,d

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
d trees,

Thats what I thought. I could imagine how that place must be like during the opener Sept. 1st. It must be like the Miracle Mile in Blythe.

Maverick

Reaction score
WBH,
Caqn you send me that info that you are sending to Remshot?

thanks chris

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I'll get the info send it to you guy this weekend.
Remshot I hunt small game and fish mostly in the couth end of the valley but for birds I'm all over the place. last year for opener I was camping just east of the alamo river in the bonds corner area.
WBH

Remshot

Reaction score
 Qbn and D trees,are you guys talking about the feedlot in Heber ? That's my pigeon pounding spot.If you check in at the office they'll let you shoot in the lot.
 The flyway continues south along the tracks toward Calexico and north toward El Centro.It's usually fair but with a lot of guys shooting birds and not pickin' 'em up.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
The F&G Commission has approved the lengthening of pheasant season from 30 days to 44 days.  Now we need to find some land that is still huntable!!!

Top Bottom