External Battery Adapter

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Many of you have probably made something like this already, but I figured I'd post the idea anyway....

I wanted to use an external power source for my cams in the winter (the "AA"s just don't seem to cut it), but I also wanted the option of reverting back to the original "AA"s because I use the cams a lot removed from the trail camera housing.
So here's a link to my solution:
http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57
Select the "External Battery Adater" link up near the top of the page.

Hope this helps!

Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks Arch! That's a neat idea and solution to the low batt problems we sometimes have during the cold weather.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Oh Mannnnn!  

We have to file a notch in the cam's battery door!  Won't that end the Warranty?     ha ha,  just kidding.....

Good one, I'v been wondering what to use for "Fake" Batterys,  Thanx Arch

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Great idea.....and thanks for sharing!!!  Would they install with both rivets away from the cover?  Don't have a camera here to look at at the moment.

bradleydale

Reaction score
Excellent idea!!

Is there a way we could hook the camera to a higher voltage battery but use some sort of filter or reducer to maintain only 3 volts making it to the camera???

Tinhorn

Reaction score
BradleyDale,

There are voltage regulators that could reduce (say 12) volts down to 3 volts but they aren't very energy efficient.  

The circuits aren't too terribly hard to build but 2 "C" or "D" batterys would last a long time, especially in the Owl PF.  It might be best to just buy a battery holder from Radio Shack for 2 - C or D size batterys

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,

jayber...Both rivet contacts go up into the cam.  I added some pics to the site - they can be seen at the link in the original message.

bradleydale... Tinhorns right - a higher voltage batt with a regulator would be wasteful.  What might work is a Powersonic 4 volt lead-acid rechargable batt (part#s PS445 or PS490)  These batts are 4 volt/4.5 Amp-Hour and 4 volt/9 Amp-Hour respectively.  You'll need at least 1 diode in series with the battery to knock the voltage down a bit - try RS part #276-1661

Tinhorn...Yup...you'll have to get the ol' Dremel out and drill yet one more hole in the camera - mine are startin' to look like swiss cheese.  The hole is in the cameras rear cover - not the batt door itself.
>>>>
Total parts cost with a 2x "D" cell batt holder from RS is under 2US$  Takes about 20 minutes to make - not including time for the glue to set and paint to dry.

Archilochus

jayber

Reaction score
Ok, where would one find the 1/8" nickel plated split rivets?  I don't recall seeing these before.

BTW Arch,
They look pretty good finished....and thanks for the additional pics!!

(Edited by jayber at 10:16 am on Nov. 30, 2001)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi jayber,
I found the split rivets at a local independant hardware store.  I've also seen them at the Aubuchon hardware chains. Look in the dusty back corners of the store where they usually keep those little metal drawers full of all sorts of funky specialty hardware.  The rivets look like the picture I drew on the web site - they're not "pop" rivets. They are also available in brass, but I thought that might tarnish too much.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Speaking of Tarnish!

you can use "OxGuard" paste to help prevent corrosion "Contact" problems.  This is the paste that electricians use on Aluminum Wire in Circuit Breaker boxes in your house.....

I wipe a thin film on my battery contact terminals from time to time.

Know how you sometimes have to hit the butt-end of 2 cell flashlights with the palm of your hand to get them to come on (or come on to full brightness) ?

Use OxGuard and the problem goes away ! ! ! !

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
Thanks for the tip... always wondered what that stuff was called!

Archilochus

homer

Reaction score
with the cold weather I thought I'd bring this one back to the top . I think its time to make one of these.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom