eye dominace-real basic questions

sdsnowbound

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm right handed and right eye dominant but my vision is much better in my left eye then my right eye- left eye is 20/25 and right eye is 20/40 meaning i'm nearsighted (and this is after correction)- so I typically shoot left handed with a rifle. When I do a eye dominance test I come up right eye dominant. Should I be shooting right or left handed based on my visual acuity? Does eye dominance etc matter when shooting with a scope? I shoot a scoped 30-30 left handed and I've been trying to learn shotgun shooting as a lefty. Is this correct or is it a waste of time?

trapperbr549

Reaction score
The scope will normally overcome eye dominance. If you are trying to shoot a shotgun with both eyes open and the wrong eye is dominant you can put a small piece of tape on your shooting glasses, right in the middle of the lens on the eye you don't want to be sighting with. The frost looking scotch tape will usually work. It interferes with the vision just enough to make your other eye take over.

One Track

Reaction score
SD:

I have the same issue. I'm right eye dominant, but my right eye is weaker than my left. For shotgun, both eyes should be open and it should not matter. Practice enough so that your shotgun shoots at what you are looking at. Same as shooting a trad bow or throwing a baseball. It should just be a natural point and shoot. Don't aim down the barrel. I shoot best on birds that come in before I'm ready. If I have a lot of time to lead them, and line up the barrel, I shoot like poop.

Rifle Scope - My right eye is good for five or six pratice shots. After that, my right eye poops and it's just a blur. I have to back off and let it rest. Same with my bow. I have to give the eye a break when practicing. For hunting, you are only going to shoot once or twice. It shouldn't matter. If you can see well through the scope for the first few shots, you should be fine. I wouldn't try to switch to left handed shooting. If it's blurry on the first shot, then you'll probably want to change or get a new prescription for shooting glasses.

And, you should always shoot with shooting glasses. I know this is a well-known rule. However, most guys that are out deer hunting or shooting dove, don't wear them. I'm hear to tell you, you should always wear them. I had a rifle blow up in my hands while shooting at a wild hog. I came away lucky, with only a scratched cornea.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom