Eye Dominance Question, Left or Right Handed Bow?

JONFSH

Reaction score
I am in process of starting my research for a new bow so that I can bowhunt next deer season next year in So. California and would like some input on a left or right handed bow.

I know this may seem to be an odd question, but my issues is that I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. I used to Bowhunt whitetails back in Michigan 24 years ago and shot a right handed bow and at 40 yards (max) it was never an issue. But out here in california some of the shots can be quite far (50 - 70 yards) is my understanding, and at that distance I think shooting with both eyes open would be a definite benefit.

So my question still stands, would it be to my benefit and marksmanship to switch now to a left handed bow and start fresh with a no form?

One thing I noticed and I'm sure it was due to my eye dominance issue, is that when shooting right handed my pins were pulled all the way to the right, almost to the last thread on the sight pin. This will make it very difficult (IMO) to shoot at ranges longer than 40 yds.

Any help would be appreciated.

sancho

Reaction score
i am like you. left eye..but a righty shooter. i do fine at long ranges. the awkwardness shooting lefty is huge.

i shoot a great bow sight with 0.19 pins and i do fine out to 80 yards.

GVOllie

Reaction score
I'm a right-eyed lefty. I shot left-handed as a kid, but went right-handed with my new bows. The awkwardness only lasted a range session or two and now I can't imagine shooting left-handed. Then I tried making the switch on the rifle and shotgun. Worked out fine for the rifle, but not so much for the shotgun.

Good luck.

ManCalledHorse

Reaction score
From years of helping others during marksmanship training, you need to shoot whatever eye dominant you are. It is just the matter of repetition of training to shoot that way to make it natural. If you cross it up, you will regret it.

Here is a great method to know for sure which eye is your dominant: 1. Place both your hands in front of you with your fingers extended and joined with your thumbs out. Form a diamond with your hands by overlaying one over the other. 2. With both eyes open, choose a distant object and place it inside the diamond space created by your index fingers and thumbs. 3. Without moving your hands, close one eye then the other. If your object stays inside your "sights", that is your dominant eye. If your object moved that would be your non dominant eye.

Key points: Aim with both eyes opened. Don't move your hands when checking each eye.

Last edited:

Top Bottom