EZ Takes Great Daytime Pictures

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I just checked my camera with the EZ inside today and boy did I have some pictures
I had 56 pictures out of these 56 all but about 6 were in the daytime.  All but three had deer in them.  Some of the pictures had as many as 5 deer in them at one time.

This camera takes great day time pictures but once again the time and date are not working.  I am going to build a way to keep up with the time and date with another PIC to fix this problem.
Have any of you with the EZ noticed a problem with your time and date.  I am thinking I may have messed it up when I was tearing it apart for the first time.  I am going to swap it out with the other one I wired into and see if that is the case first.

I did not post any of these to my website because they suffer on resolution when I do this so if anyone wants to look at some let me know and I can email one or two to you so you can see the actual way they look.  Email me Monday and I will send them from work.  It takes to long to do it on AOL.  They are around 500k to 600K a piece.

Looks like this cam is going to work out after all at least in the day time.  The night pictures are still hard to see after using software to edit them they look a lot better.  

I found that the batteries in the external flash were low so I replaced them with some NiMH to see if that helps the external flash to flash with the camera.  That was the only thing I could find wrong with the unit.  Looked like it wasn't getting charged up fast enough to flash.  I will check this out over time.

Dbworld

Reaction score
With the external flash do you turn the flash on with the same wires from your board that turns the camera on and the external is a slave unit?    

Another thing that may be happening is that some digital cameras actual use a two flash sequence.  The first one is for the camera's focusing and/or lighting or something?!?!?! I can't remember the real reason.  I have a link at work that describes it.  I'll try to remember to post the link on Monday.  Actually it's in the forums somewhere.  The second is actually for the picture. This causes problems with many slave flash units.  I'm assuming that is how you fire  the external flash with a flash slave.  If not let me know how you do it please.

Could the yashica be causing the external flash to go off during the a possible first flash sequence from the camera causing the camera to have a bad setting for the actual flash (from the camera not the external flash)?  Have you tried the camera without the external flash at all?  

If I'm way off base say, "Dave you are way off base...."    

If I have confused anyone more than I have confused myself....sorry.

Dbworld

Reaction score
Oh yeah...I'd like to see a couple of those pictures.  dbeecher@dbworld.net

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Brian I was wondering could you take a timer like in a feeder(or another type,I know a feeder timer just comes on for a few minutes) and adjust it to turn power on to the PIR at daylight and shut it off at dark. I know you are putting a sensor on your board to do this, but this way if you didn't want to put a timer board on it you wouldn't have to. Also I was thinking a person could use it on our Owls and shut them off in the hottest part of the day so we wouldn't get as many false pics. Just some thoughts.I would like to see some of those pics also.

Dbworld

Reaction score
Here is the explanation and link of why slave flash units don't work with some digital cameras.  

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Most popular digital camera lines have inadequate flash systems and lack a connector for use with an external flash. Ordinary slave units will not work with most digital cameras because these cameras use a very rapid series of pre-flashes (we're not talking about red-eye reduction). The pre-flashes are used to set the white balance of the camera's image sensor chip - not the exposure. A typical slave unit will fire on the pre-flash it senses while the digital camera captures the image on the last flash. Thus, the extra light from the slave does not show up in the digital camera photo.
 <hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

http://www.srelectronics.com </a>[/b]

(Edited by Dbworld at 10:33 am on April 14, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Guys,

The pictures are on the way.

Dbworld,

I use the trigger pulse from the sensor to activate the external flash unit.  All I do is power the external device for say 8 seconds to make sure it is powered up when the camera tries to take a picture when it does then the slave will flash the external unit with the camera and then I turn it off again.

It may be the double flash causing the problem but I haven't seen my EZ do that although others have stated that theirs does.

I will look into that further.  Thanks for the info.  Could be useful if figuring out what is going on.

TNDEERHUNTER,

I believe something like that could be done.  I haven't done it nor do I know exactly how I would do it but I bet it could be done.  I would have to use the alarm as an input somehow to trigger the PIC into an OK mode.  Once in OK mode it would be allowed to take pictures.  Once the alarm came on again it would turn the OK mode off and it would not be allowed to take pictures.  The rest of the functions of the PIC would work the same. The PIR would work all the time since it would not matter because the PIC would do the control.  I bet it could be done with some programming.  Sound like a neat project that is doable.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Brian,They look good. Looks like you have a whole herd there.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 1:46 pm on April 15, 2002)

Top Bottom