Factory Load Opinions

Chance

Reaction score
 I was wondering if anybody had a feel for a comparison of Herters 3" 1 1/8 oz steel #2 loads compared to Winchester Supreme 3" 1 1/4 oz steel #2. The Herter's load (which I think is made by Federal)claims 1530 fps. The Winchester load claims 1450 fps. Choke and guns aside which is the better load?

Fubar

Reaction score
Chance  Welcome to Jesses Forum. Sounds to me both loads are pretty much the same. One load is a little faster than the other because it has a little less shot. I would shoot both and see which one patterns better in your gun. If the price is close to the same on both then I dont see much difference.            Fubar

Swampy

Reaction score
Fubar is 100%, pattern both loads. You may be amazed.

Fubar

Reaction score
Chance  Make sure you pattern them in the gun you are going to use for waterfowl. If they shoot fine in  your friends gun, they may pattern differently in your gun. Even changing the choke can change the pattern.        Fubar

WATERFOWL MASTER

Inactive
Reaction score
CHANCE i have all ready dealt with that ordeal myself i had the same wonders about the to. I used the supreme and it was great i thought it was the best. Then i used the herters and it was good for really close shots but at medium range it was like shooting at something 1000 yards away it just wouldnt happen. With the supreme i knocked a honker out of the sky that was a consideral distance away and probably shouldnt have taken the shot but i knocked a lot of birds down with it at longer distances than normal so maybe u will feel the same.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Shot a few box's of each last season. It did seem the Chester's shot better at a long range bird. The Chester's have a lot better water tight seal. Either is a good shell for decoying birds IMO

Grumpy

Reaction score
I'm not a big steel user,just some for ducks,but I really like the Federal 3" Tungstein for honkers.Just wish they didn't cost so much!

Advertisement

Top Bottom